Tokyo Eventing SJ thread

Kat

Visit site
Was it not in relation to Julia being the first woman to win the individual eventing gold?
I think that was what he was kind of referring to badly.

However you can celebrate the fact that she'd the first woman to win an individual gold in eventing in a positive way rather than rattling on about "they say women can't win olympic medals" his comments weren't accurate or informative.

No one believes that there is any reason other than chance that a woman hasn't won olympic gold, after all they have won at 5*, and world championship level. He could have said, "This is one of the few olympic sports where men and women compete against one another, and while women have won all the other major eventing titles this is the first time a woman has won individual gold in the eventing".

Kat

Visit site
I didn't watch on Discovery, what did he say about Alex Hua Tian?

Loads of stuff about him not being able to make his mind up whether he is chinese or british. Then an implication that his success was purely down to his "silverspoon" and eton education. He was then just very negative going on about him "crashing into a fence" and how he was surprised that they had presented for the next round and would he have any more crashes.

It sounded like some kind of personal vendetta.

Did someone say that he said something about the swiss team and jetset? I turned over after a while.

teddypops

Visit site
I think that was what he was kind of referring to badly.

However you can celebrate the fact that she'd the first woman to win an individual gold in eventing in a positive way rather than rattling on about "they say women can't win olympic medals" his comments weren't accurate or informative.

No one believes that there is any reason other than chance that a woman hasn't won olympic gold, after all they have won at 5*, and world championship level. He could have said, "This is one of the few olympic sports where men and women compete against one another, and while women have won all the other major eventing titles this is the first time a woman has won individual gold in the eventing".
Yes I agree but in context I understood what he meant rather than he was declaring that women couldn’t/ didn’t win. He did say some strange things though.

Kat

Visit site
Yes I agree but in context I understood what he meant rather than he was declaring that women couldn’t/ didn’t win. He did say some strange things though.

If that had been the only issue then I think people would all have just brushed it off as clumsy phrasing and a poor explanation but in light of all of his other comments it seemed more problematic.

Denbob

Visit site
I think even if you're not het up enough to "complain" per se it's worth submitting a form requesting that they hire someone with actual equestrian experience to commentate on an equestrian sport. I appreciate that it's not always an option or if Discovery think it isn't worth the investment when they could use someone who they assume could commentate on multiple sports but when you've had John and Lucinda for two days I don't understand why they've switched it out? They're clearly capable of hiring people with equestrian experience, and regardless of your feelings about Lucinda's commentary at least she has some grounding in the horse world!

Kat

Visit site
I think even if you're not het up enough to "complain" per se it's worth submitting a form requesting that they hire someone with actual equestrian experience to commentate on an equestrian sport. I appreciate that it's not always an option or if Discovery think it isn't worth the investment when they could use someone who they assume could commentate on multiple sports but when you've had John and Lucinda for two days I don't understand why they've switched it out? They're clearly capable of hiring people with equestrian experience, and regardless of your feelings about Lucinda's commentary at least she has some grounding in the horse world!

John Kyle and Lucinda Green weren't hired by discovery/eurosport. They are the International Olympic Broadcast Company Commentators for equestrian sport. They are providing all of the English Language commentary for all of the equestrian events. They were commentating today and those listening in other countries like (I think) AUS and USA heard them.

Broadcasters can chose to add their own commentary instead of using the standard IOB commentary. The BBC have been using Nick Luck and Ian Stark for example.

Discovery just used the IOB commentary until the last day when for some unknown reason they switched to their own pair of commentators. We could have had John Kyle and Lucinda but Discovery added their own commentary.

Denbob

Visit site
John Kyle and Lucinda Green weren't hired by discovery/eurosport. They are the International Olympic Broadcast Company Commentators for equestrian sport. They are providing all of the English Language commentary for all of the equestrian events. They were commentating today and those listening in other countries like (I think) AUS and USA heard them.

Broadcasters can chose to add their own commentary instead of using the standard IOB commentary. The BBC have been using Nick Luck and Ian Stark for example.

Discovery just used the IOB commentary until the last day when for some unknown reason they switched to their own pair of commentators. We could have had John Kyle and Lucinda but Discovery added their own commentary.

Oh interesting that's good to know thank you!

Reactions: Kat

HashRouge

Visit site

How bizarre! I quite liked Lucinda tbh, she was a bit bonkers but definitely fun - I nearly wet myself when she was going on about "appendages", I was laughing so much. Ian and Nick were the real class act though, I'd pick them every time!

fetlock

Visit site
Disappointed we didn't get two individual medals (ok, I was hoping we'd get all three) but thrilled we got one and, admit to a lump in my throat at how choked up the German girl was on the podium. I didn't realise till today that a woman had never won individual gold before either. Not that I'd really thought about it but, if I had, I'd have assumed Ingrid at least would have had a gold in recent years.

Would be interested to know the fence heights in that individual round as those fences looked huge, or at least compared to the norm at that level.

TheMule

Visit site
Late to the party, but I thoroughly enjoyed today. The first round was flowing and kind and allowed all to get round. It made for an interesting battle for silver/ bronze but without being ridiculous. The second round, shorter, bigger and more technical ask. Spot on- rewarded the excellent jumpers and the right horses walked away with the medals IMO. Those 3 top horses were just in a class of their own

Renvers

Visit site
Loads of stuff about him not being able to make his mind up whether he is chinese or british. Then an implication that his success was purely down to his "silverspoon" and eton education. He was then just very negative going on about him "crashing into a fence" and how he was surprised that they had presented for the next round and would he have any more crashes.

It sounded like some kind of personal vendetta.

Did someone say that he said something about the swiss team and jetset? I turned over after a while.

Thanks, that is awful.

No silver spoon is going to give you an easy ticket to get to a olympic eventing final. Wonder if they all made it look so easy that Richard Vaughan thinks anyone can do it! Not a good way to drum up customers when you have invested £900m in rights.

I watched BBC and Ian Stark and Nick Luck were excellent.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Yes he's great, so so preferable to Clare Balding being on everything all the time and her unique style of pouncing on riders the moment they leave the ring with predictable, not very well researched questions
I'm another Rishi fan, I like that he seems knowlegeable on the one hand but is also able to explain the sport in a way non-horsy people can understand.

teapot

Visit site
Disappointed we didn't get two individual medals (ok, I was hoping we'd get all three) but thrilled we got one and, admit to a lump in my throat at how choked up the German girl was on the podium. I didn't realise till today that a woman had never won individual gold before either. Not that I'd really thought about it but, if I had, I'd have assumed Ingrid at least would have had a gold in recent years.

Would be interested to know the fence heights in that individual round as those fences looked huge, or at least compared to the norm at that level.

Ingrid would/could have won it individually in 2012 but she withdraw having won the team gold to save her horse I seem to remember

TheMule

Visit site
Ingrid would/could have won it individually in 2012 but she withdraw having won the team gold to save her horse I seem to remember

She had penalties in round 1 so helped win team gold but wasn’t going to be in individual contention

Nicnac

Visit site
Lovely interviews with the team on Radio 5 live as I was driving home from work this evening. They also interviewed Tom's groom Francesca Gorni which was a nice touch.

Apparently Oli was half asleep then they said it was 2am. Imagine the adrenaline crash after an evening like that!

teapot

Visit site
She had penalties in round 1 so helped win team gold but wasn’t going to be in individual contention

Ahhhhhh. I do remember someone else losing Gold in the individual, I have a photo of Mary and Tina looking a bit concerned after!

ETS: Sara Algotsson had a fence and cost her the gold!

HashRouge

Visit site
Ahhhhhh. I do remember someone else losing Gold in the individual, I have a photo of Mary and Tina looking a bit concerned after!

ETS: Sara Algotsson had a fence and cost her the gold!
Was it Bettina Hoy who had the gold almost in her grasp at Athens, and then got disqualified for something daft? I think it was riding through the start twice or something like that. That was horrendous!

HashRouge

Visit site
Claire Balding just interviewed them on Today at the Olympics. It was lovely, but poor Tom looked propped up! I hope they’ve been drinking champagne for several hours!
I thought that was such a nice segment! I really liked when Alex asked about how the horses got home, and after Claire explained it they showed that clip of Gio going into his field at home! Such a lovely touch :)