Tom Beech or Ken Skinner?

mongy46

Visit site
Has anyone been to see Tom Beech, osteo vet, or Ken skinner chirovet?
Just wondering which one to take my horse to?
Many thanks

Alibear

Visit site
I used Ken for my mare and he was really helpful. I chose him as he's local so could come out regularly, his assistant Lucia was also very helpful when Ken was away. I didn't try Tom so can't compare.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would say that Ken is very very good and I presume is local to you as I don't think he travels beyond East Anglia, Tom would be much more expensive but also is very good, tends to work only once or twice on the horse in most cases. Depends if you want ongoing support going forwards with someone easy to book in with, and what the issue is, maybe have a chat with both of them? I know a trainer who works with Tom, but will only recommend him for certain problems, not every horse with possible need for a bodyworker.

mongy46

Visit site
I would say that Ken is very very good and I presume is local to you as I don't think he travels beyond East Anglia, Tom would be much more expensive but also is very good, tends to work only once or twice on the horse in most cases. Depends if you want ongoing support going forwards with someone easy to book in with, and what the issue is, maybe have a chat with both of them? I know a trainer who works with Tom, but will only recommend him for certain problems, not every horse with possible need for a bodyworker.
No, have to travel to him.
I have had a chat with both of them, Ken seems like he deals more with back, shoulder, KS? Not sure going forward until we can see what's wrong.
Every now and again seem to lock up in the lumber region, he's only 5 so needs to work over his back more, but sometimes finds it difficult.

[131452]

Visit site
My 5 yo gelding has just been diagnosed with early stage OCD in his stifles. One of the symptoms was a very stiff back and locked pelvis. I'd recommend working with your vet initially to rule out any issues with the limbs such as OCD.

Caramac71

Visit site
Tom is excellent, by the time we contacted him, we’d been through numerous vets and bodyworkers. We’d had a diagnosis (facet joint arthritis) but nothing quite made sense with this diagnosis and mares symptoms. We’d pretty much given up and accepted she was just a field ornament, but decided to contact Tom as a last attempt before giving up (after reading Leowalker’s glowing posts on here).

Tom’s approach was different from everyone else’s. He addressed everything - diet, supplements, etc. He was honest from the start about the chances of success, but by the second appointment he was really pleased with her progress, and by the third she was back in ridden work and doing better than ever.

She’s not quite right at the moment, although still rideable, but we think the underlying cause of her problems is hind gut and/or ovaries so we are trying to find a solution.

Tom is great though, happy to answer questions in between appointments and always lets us know when he’s in the area in case we need him.

mongy46

Visit site
I went to see Ken Skinner and I have to say I wasn't impressed. The alterations he made lasted a day. Went to a top osteo who sorted out the problem.