Tom Thumb Bit - horse that leans?

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Fabio can get a bit silly when cantering behind others - the only time he does! He's fine on his own or up front. He's very much a head down, take hold and lean to tank off kinda guy. I've always used a waterford with him which although he's still strong in, was controllable in when we were behind. However recently its not been enough. I've since tried him in a waterford gag on the 2nd ring which definitely gave me the control back. Although he was quite front loaded with it. As he's a 6" in a normal bit though the only one i could find in a 6.25" was the NS waterford universal. I got that on trial but have sent it back as didn't work as well as the gag. I've asked them to send me a nelson gag to try in its place. But.....i seen a tomb thumb bit cheap on ebay so have also bought that to try. I'm just wanting to know really if its a bit that he could lean on and take hold or is this generally not the case? I know a lot of people rate them, i've used the waterford on him in company for so long i'm just a bit bothered about having a total brake failure!! Although maybe a change of mouthpiece will actually help!! Opinions welcome!!

dianchi

Visit site
I love my tom thumb bit but i find that it brings my mares head down- which i need.
But i wouldnt say that she leans on takes hold of it!

Good luck!

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I too use the waterford gag on the second hole and found putting it down to the third was a little bit loaded initially so i decided to give the tom thumb a go. It didnt do alot for mine however and i ended up going back to the waterford. However i have a few friends that really rate it, Good luck

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
See i think going to the 3rd ring would be too much too, as he's going on the forehand and backing off it a bit on the 2nd ring. Figuring that with the Nelson its onl going to give as much or as little pressure as needed - dictated by how much of a twonk he's being!! Will try the Tom Thumb anyway and see. If neither do the trick will need to stick to the gag but it's only a 6" so bit bothered as really needed a size up. Although doesn't appear to have rubbed him at all the few times i've used it.
If i could just get a happy medium between how lazy he can be on his own and what a numpty he is behind others in company that would be perfect! :lol:

Mambo81

New User
Visit site
I use a tom thumb for strong ex racer but lately finding him very heavy in my hands especially in open spaces. He doesn’t bolt anymore but looking for suggestions on a different bit to make him lighter. I’ve been recommended tom thumb waterford?? Pros and cons to this bit

Goldenstar

Visit site
I really like the Tom Thumb on the rare occasions I don’t use a snaffle I will always give it a try
Hitting for control really is a question of trying things I also believe in stopping things so the horse never gets used to one bit

Mambo81

New User
Visit site
I was thinking he’s just got used to it. He used to bolt in open spaces so I tried the Tom Thumb and he went lovely. Through the winter we’ve been restricted only using the school. Now we’re back in open spaces, he’s really strong, I have breaks but he leans and pushes onto the bit. Not sure what to do??

alexomahony

Visit site
My connie sometimes can get a bit 'heavy' in his snaffle I switch to a Tom Thumb and double reins for a few days as I can be much lighter in this and remind him to sit up and wait for me. Once I've done a few days, he goes back to his snaffle and is lovely again - he's got a big powerful bum and sometimes can't help but propel himself forward!

I've found a nice medium for XC/Hacking/Hunting and SJ'ing in a hanging cheek with the same rollers as the Tom Thumb - he seems to like copper rollers and thin mouth pieces.

I'd definitely suggest giving it a go with double reins so you don't use the bottom ring unless you really need to.