Tom Thumb bit

Thunderbirds R Gone

Visit site
Have been looking into different bitting options after my horse realised I didn't have any brakes jumping outdoors at the weekend and buggered off with me several times around the arena before I could pull up
grin.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
(full details in earlier post).

Have popped him in a three ring gag at the moment because that's all I've got but it's not my favourite bit so was wondering about trying a Tom Thumb.

Anyone use one - what are they like?

He didn't do anything particularly dramatic with his head (ie up or down) just generally couldn't stop
blush.gif

Twinkletoes

Visit site
Hmm, we tried this with our boy, for similar reasons to you, and we didnt get on with it. He is a very fleshy 5 1/2" and after 2 weeks of easing him into this bit I actually measured it, the biggest you can buy is 5.5, and it came up just over 5 1/4" and therefore too small so be careful re sizing. My friend had a connie x who they jumped in it, and had great results though.
We now love and have great results with the NS Translosenge Universal bit - pricey if you cant get one on ebay but amazing.

ladyt25

Visit site
I tried a Tom Thumb as an alternative to the 3 ring gag and it worked for a bit, although my horse doesn't bugger off, he's just quite strong. I resorted back to the 3 ring though and have stuck with it ever since, he just seems to be happy in it and I have control. He can still be strong but not unstoppable.

I did find the Tom Thumb also seemed to pinch a little bit. We sold it to a PC member with a strong pony and it worked wonders for her though.

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He is a very fleshy 5 1/2" and after 2 weeks of easing him into this bit I actually measured it, the biggest you can buy is 5.5, and it came up just over 5 1/4"

[/ QUOTE ]

We sell a 6" sweet iron and our own 6" lozenge (which doesn't suck in the fleshy parts of the lips)

So that's not true!

KatB

Visit site
They are fab bits. The cheaper Shires ones arent great in quality IMHO, but do the job. They arent actually that strong as the shanks are actually very short in length, but it is quite a direct action, so has a more direct action to that of a 3 ring.

annret

Visit site
I've ridden a very strong horse in one for cantering for hack, and it's just brilliant - gave me control to have a lovely balanced canter rather than flat fast + strong. I think PF uses one with great results for riding horsey PF?

Twinkletoes

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is a very fleshy 5 1/2" and after 2 weeks of easing him into this bit I actually measured it, the biggest you can buy is 5.5, and it came up just over 5 1/4"

[/ QUOTE ]

We sell a 6" sweet iron and our own 6" lozenge (which doesn't suck in the fleshy parts of the lips)

So that's not true!

[/ QUOTE ]
Drats well we couldnt get one at all at the time - may well have just been looking at shires. Have to say we're now converted to Neue S but thanks anyway for the info, will bear that in mind.