Tongue lollers - Rockin S Helps!

asterid

Visit site
Just wanted to share my experiences.

My mare is an exracer and since I got her from 3 rising 4 she has always tongue lolled and tried with success on occasion to get her tongue over the bit. I have tried so many different bits, noseband types etc that I now have shares in bit companies! (she is now 7).

What worked was strapping her shut with a drop. She went loads better in a Micklem and NS verbindend, but was only covering it up not curing it.

So, have bought a Rockin S raised snaffle and we are now on the third day. Lunging she was so much better and no tongue lolling. Riding was fine on a long low outline but took her up to dressage outline and she did get her tongue over the bit about 4 times (rode in a simple bridle without a noseband). So we had a sharp lesson in that's not what I want.

Today rode in same simple bridle without noseband and not a sniff of a tongue or so much clamping etc. Shape much better and her medium trot was the best yet.

So after 3 days I can say that the rockin S is a great bit that has for now cured the tongue problem which I think is actually a pain to the bars not the tongue itself.

Oddly and just to point out. For SJ we ride in a kineton and Waterford. As the Kineton lifts the bit off the bars when pressure applied to the rein, I have never once seen her tongue! So hence my theory on bar pain rather than tongue and trialling he Rockin S for flatwork.

So for now we will continue to train in the Rockin S and then revert to Micklem and NS for dressage comps.

Thought Id share my brief experience with you for those with similar problems.