Tongue Ties - why?

Jnhuk

Visit site
Please can someone tell me why in racing they use tongue ties? They have just described on the Royal Ascot feed that it used to help the horse breathe but horses only breathe through their nostrils and not through their mouth?

Anyone know the real reason why?

Equi

Visit site
I can only assume that as they're going so fast sometimes the tongue slips back making the airway smaller. Just a theory though.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
http://www.thehorse.com/articles/33806/study-tongue-ties-appear-to-benefit-racehorses

"The researchers found that when the horses' tongues were tied, the upper respiratory structures' positions were more compatible with upper airway stability, Chalmers said. Their main findings concerned the thyroid cartilage and the basihyoid bone, a small bone in the hyoid apparatus; the hyoid apparatus is a set of bones that maintains the larynx (“voice box”) in place. In their study, Chalmers and her associates found that the basihyoid bone's lingual process—a bony projection that goes from the basihyoid bone to the root of the tongue—was deeper, and the thyroid cartilage was lower when the tongue tie was applied. Previous research by Chalmers and others suggests that these structural positions allow the horse to breathe better."

You may find this interesting to read. (I am not knowledgeable of racing and had not heard of tongue ties). Other research cites the reason being to stop the horse getting his tongue over the bit.

I'm sure someone else can come in with better information.

dixie

Visit site
When we briefly pointed a horse we had to tongue tie as he used to roll it back. It was done with some soft tights, very high tech !

Visit site
Yeah it basically stops them getting the tongue back and preventing airflow and choking. They get put on when the horse is saddled - about 20mins before they race and they get take off again as soon as their handler gets to them at the end of the race. They aren't in for more than 30-35mins max.

Some people use the elastic, nylon and velcro straps but they are a pita to put on and the horses can get them off easy enough if they try. Most people use a bit of cut up tights, harder to get off but does a better job.

Butterfly bits don't cut it as whilst the tongue can't get over the bit it can still get back far enough to block the airway.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Thanks folks. Interesting reading and I know in humans mandibular advancement opens up the airways and the tongue position can affect the position of epiglottis and connection to hyoid bone. Just couldn't figure out what going on with horses to make this work

Also believe done to stop dorsal displacement of soft palate which is a common cause of poor performance in racehorses

Always learning - thanks peeps!

Last edited: