Toni Terry doing a Katie Price at Olympia

PinkFairy

Visit site
Toni's horses are ridden by her trainer, she just happens to be very fortunate and have better chances than most and so many people are giving her stick for it. KP *is* different, she's vulgar and trashy and has made a laughing stock of the equestrian world, Toni is someone who is holding her hands up and saying she wants to work hard to deserve it! Like I've said, I'm sure if you were in her position, you'd have no qualms about it! *sighs once more*

Paddywhack

Visit site
Good Luck to her !!!
Its all about attitude and who is riding on the press and media...
Tori is actually a GOOD horse woman.
I will never ever attend an event where K.P is riding.
And she got invited and the opportunity to ride at Olympia .. WHO WOULDN'T ???? I bet everyone on this forum !

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Good Luck to her !!!
Its all about attitude and who is riding on the press and media...
Tori is actually a GOOD horse woman.
I will never ever attend an event where K.P is riding.
And she got invited and the opportunity to ride at Olympia .. WHO WOULDN'T ???? I bet everyone on this forum !

[/ QUOTE ]
I am sure most of us would snatch the invite out of the persons hands....then after drooling a bit remember to say thankyou
tongue.gif

I really dont get all the fuss
crazy.gif

She has good horses placed with her trainer(a GOOD thing) and a couple of good horses for herself to compete and learn on(well,who wouldnt? ).
Everyone who has spent a few k on a good horse and lessons has done the same thing-got the best horse and trainer your budget will allow.
The article doesnt say she is doing a demo alone,but a pas de duex(no hope of spelling it right but hey ho!) with a well known rider and trainer.

At least this is being billed as trainer and pupil,KP's erm,"display" was put out as a masterclass that was just her....and it was all about gettign more intrest in the clothes she is pushing.
TT seems to be someone from a wealthy background(shoot her now!) who understands that this hsow is something special and not a money making op.

Nosey

Visit site
But if it was an unknown I would far rather see someone without limitless resources who has really clawed their way to the top through hard work, excellent self promotion and effort and not someone with a rich husband, daddy, brother etc etc who buys top horses and is a lady of leisure who can have a daily lesson with a top rider cos they've nothing else pressing to do cos IMO that would be really inspirational. In fact someone like Anna Ross Davies who for me ( and I hate dressage ) is someone to be very much admired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly along the lines of what I was going to say - it is hardly inspirational for us ordinary bods. I would rather see a real talent - ie someone you can look up to and be motivated by.

All this seems to be saying is you too could appear at Olympia if you look pretty and marry someone who has considerably more talent and money than you! Sorry I know it sounds a bit harsh and nothing against the girl personally but I really don't think it is what the horsey public want to pay to see! I think the organisers have underestimated our taste!!
confused.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
She's having to work extra hard just because members of the public don't believe she deserves it because of her money, which I think is bl00dy rude.

BBH

Visit site
I don't think you've grasped the debate at all have you, its nothing to do with her money raising objections, its that the organisers have failed to understand that people don't want to pay their hard earned money to see un- known riders and if un-known riders are to be used there are more deserving people than TT.

If anyone could be argued to be bloody rude it could be you for not giving anyone the credit of a reasoned objection other than her money. Not everyone values money in the way you do.

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
All this seems to be saying is you too could appear at Olympia if you look pretty and marry someone who has considerably more talent and money than you!

[/ QUOTE ]
You really think that?
Does the shetland pony GN tell kids that they too can get to Olympia if they chuck their ponies over hurdles at 100 miles an hour?
crazy.gif

There are lots of events at all the big shows that are not pure showing/showjumping or dressage.
It's called entertainment...might not be the bit YOU want ot see but there will be people who do find it interisting or even just fun to watch in between the major classes.

It also does NOT say anywhre that this lady herself was invited-it could well be that her trainer was and decided to take her client and friend along for the ride.
What a way to repay someone putting a lot of cash into your business
wink.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you've grasped the debate at all have you, its nothing to do with her money raising objections, its that the organisers have failed to understand that people don't want to pay their hard earned money to see un- known riders and if un-known riders are to be used there are more deserving people than TT.

If anyone could be argued to be bloody rude it could be you for not giving anyone the credit of a reasoned objection other than her money. Not everyone values money in the way you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologise, it's not the way I am intending to come across. I was responding to the view that Nanny_Ogg quoted, where it appears she is getting stick for being married to a footballer and having more cash than others. Again, I apologise for coming across as rude.

BBH

Visit site
Ah bless you, I apologise too for mis reading the tone of your post. Thats the trouble with forums, you have to kind of guesstimate where people are coming from and sometimes we get it wrong
grin.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah bless you, I apologise too for mis reading the tone of your post. Thats the trouble with forums, you have to kind of guesstimate where people are coming from and sometimes we get it wrong
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, that's ok
smile.gif

blackstar

Visit site
Why?! I mean seriously...if you want to feature some up and coming riders then do it on their own merit, not because they are married to a football player!

daisycrazy

Visit site
I haven't read all these posts, but the Terrys own at least one very good young horse (Beltoni) and they are supporting a British rider. If they are supporting the sport as owners then I really think they should be commended. Any encouragement that can be given to wealthy people to invest in the sport, particularly as owners and sponsors, is worth giving. In these difficult financial times, dressage is hardly in a position to turn its nose up at footballers and their wives.

blackstar

Visit site
I don't think people are particulary slagging her off. I had never heard of her before now, so I presume that she is not your typical WAG pop tart out to forge a media career or something on the back of who her husband is.

Its just that I fail to understand why anyone would want to watch her simply because of who she is married to. If she is performing in a demo or masterclass or whatever based on her own merit and contribution to dressage then brilliant. But bill her as an up and coming rider and important owner, not as a footballer's wife. Horses for me are a haven away from the crass celebrity culture which seems to have pervaded so many aspects of everyday life!

dressager

Visit site
I used to be a livery with Toni Terry and she is a really lovely down to earth girl who was always willing to take advice. She is the complete opposite of KP (not that I know KP personally but going by what I have seen and read) and is not the type to try and get in the spotlight for no reason, she was always very humble and knew she needed to improve. She did have lunge lessons on her sensible Friesan schoolmaster etc and didn't just jump straight on a GP horse.

Personally I don't think you can blame her entirely for appearing at Olympia, I think it is more likely that VT has tried to push her into the spotlight to gain some publicity for herself also (she is showcasing Papillon her best horse as well as showcasing Toni Terry!) That is all I will say
grin.gif

twizz

New User
Visit site
and good for VT!!!! why not push ur best horses :)
if i were a top class rider i too would do everything i could, given the opportunity to showcase my horses and push a pupil especially when said pupil owns a number of top class horses! not only that but also brings MUCH NEEDED publicity to our sport.... someone mentioned it (and i have no idea how to do the quotey thing!) but can dressage turn it's nose up at this type of publicity????? just look at how many people have posted, good or bad it's now a discuss topic....... methinks it answers it's own question!!!
if ur not interested in watching toilet/shopping break.....
would be interested at how many people watch including those of whom are not so keen just purely because they are intrigued........
good luck TT and please keep supporting the sport and it's competitors(even if they don't support you) and keep our top class riders mounted on your top class horses
it's not all about money, trust i struggle by and enjoy what i can but if you have the means then use them!!!!