Too fine?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Catching up on the forum when I should be working.

The horse in my photos is Macetero when he was 5!

I worked on a PRE stud for a family friend when I was a teenager/early twenties and the lady I worked for brought him over from Spain!

Oh, wow. I didn't recognise him ridden. I don't think Bozena rides him. He just hangs out with his ladies.

What was he like?

No. Perhaps Mandy bought him from her, I thought she had imported him herself but I was 17/18 at the time so could well be wrong

But I did know him and rode him regularly

According to Bozena's website, he was imported by someone called Lisa Hurlong, then ended up at Dawn Foy's stud. He went to Millpark and Bozena bought him from them.

He definitely stamps his babies.

Abi90

Visit site
Catching up on the forum when I should be working.

Oh, wow. I didn't recognise him ridden. I don't think Bozena rides him. He just hangs out with his ladies.

What was he like?

According to Bozena's website, he was imported by someone called Lisa Hurlong, then ended up at Dawn Foy's stud. He went to Millpark and Bozena bought him from them.

He definitely stamps his babies.

I knew him at Millpark. We called him Terry. He was a lovely boy and I rode him unsupervised in my late teens.
I just saw the photo and thought “that’s Terry” and the HP brand always made me think of HP sauce

Caol Ila

Visit site
The move has happened. She went straight onto my friend's 3.5t lorry (loading training does pay off) and travelled really well.

After a few hours in the stable, I bit the bullet and turned her out into the herd. She seemed to know exactly how to approach horses, saying, "Hi, I want to be your friend and I won't challenge your place in the herd." A couple chased her but she trotted off and didn't make a big deal out of it. Quite a different horse than the one who jumped a fence in March 2021.

When I went to catch her this morning, she was nice and settled in the midst of the herd. Seemed a bit bummed to be leaving her new friends but led in to her stable perfectly. I felt a bit guilty, especially after that stabling thread. I took her from a yard where she was out 24/7 in summer and in shared pens in the winter and brought her to a more traditional set-up. They are stabled during the day at the moment and out at night, but soon that will change, and they will be out during the day and in at night.

Although it was great for the horse, I just could not see myself being happy at her old yard as a long-term livery. The drive was a b1tch, I never quite fit in socially (though the people were all really nice! I just didn't really make friends with them), and for reasons I said in the stabling thread, it would not suit Fin. I think Hermosa is the more adaptable of the two.

Saying hi to one of her new pals.
313410365_10101081325731465_1951200596118926878_n.jpg

Nuzzling OH from her stable.

314402565_10101081325736455_4945320299043952517_n.jpg

NinjaPony

Visit site
She will be absolutely fine being in overnight, and out in the day in a lovey big herd. My Welsh loves coming in overnight during the winter to escape the bad weather, and it means you will be able to crack on with her in a way that suits you. Keep us posted!

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm with Cortez - stop worrying! She looks lovely and has a typical amount of bone for a PRE, a lot of them are quite fine especially when young.

Also don't worry about stabling / turnout. Mine have all had various times out 24/7, in 24/7 (in Spain) and all varieties in between. They couldn't care less and enjoy being out with the herd or chilled time in the stable. They're adaptable, kind and human-focused horses who approach most things in life with an equal level of enthusiasm. Have fun with her, I'm sure you two will be able to crack on now!

Annagain

Visit site
Here’s big sister, same dad different mum, age 4 just before backing and age 6
View attachment 101719View attachment 101720
She looks a lot taller in the first photo! It must be because she's quite gangly and her head's up but she's much more in proportion, with a lower head in the second. How big is she? I'd say she looks about 15.2 in the first photo and about 14hh in the second!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
People at the yard comment on how fine she is. I guess no one is used to seeing that kind of horse!
Precisely this. On the other hand, once you have tuned your eye to Spanish horses everything else looks a bit......gross (sorry; everyone of course thinks their own horse is the most beautiful in the whole world, but......).

NinjaPony

Visit site
Let’s not judge all Arabs by the extreme overbred examples. Plenty of traditional beautiful models around.

Hermosa is blossoming with age, she is finer than say a native but she is built to be tough.

I’m always amazed how each breed or type of horse can be beautiful, even those which don’t appeal as much to our individual tastes. I rode an enormous 17.2hh warm blood last week, and he had the most delicate, refined face for such a big horse.

Dexter

Visit site
Not what I'd want to see looking over a stable door. All horses are beautiful in their own way and to call them gross compared to the photo above is ridiculous.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
What a bizarre twist this thread has taken!

I'd ignore the 'fine' comments from other liveries Caol Ila - I get comments on my 'small' native but he's just the only pony on the yard and the smallest and fluffiest by some way (despite the hunter clip ?). He's normal height to me but if you're used to 16.2hh then a 13.3hh native will potentially seem small.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I also like my fluffy, built-like-a-brick-sh1thouse Highland. Though when he gets his winter coat, I think he's more like a big plushie than a horse.

Hermosa went on her first adventure in the park yesterday. She was perfect. Cool with the usual park chaos (kids, dogs, etc.) and did not even bat an eye at a swan standing in the middle of the trail, hissing at everyone who went past.

She also went straight into the loch.

313922509_10101082074211505_2025153741760579816_n.jpg

Inda

Visit site
Sorry for the delay.
She’s currently 15.1. She was 14.2 in the first picture and she didn’t grow for 2years after that.

she is the smallest of the line that I know, I suspect it was starting chemo so young to be honest.

the second picture doesn’t do her many favours, I don’t have many side on of her as she likes to follow me around usually. I woke her up to go out hence the tired stink eye that amused me in that picture!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I live in the state of Paranoia (like all horse owners). It's just next to Idaho.

If you follow other threads, you'll know Hermosa is now backed, yadda, yadda. There she is in my profile pic. But people often comment on how fine she is. Her front feet were a little under 120x130mm when I measured her up for her Renegades.

It's not like I can make her feet bigger or give her more bone. I am proceeding with her ridden education slowly and carefully, mostly hacking in walk. She just looks so damn delicate but maybe (hopefully) these PREs are tougher than they look.

OH hand grazed her a bit today (no wonder why she likes him more than me) and took a video.

149B2D85-0196-4E08-BDD5-F6934F5BDC43_1_201_a.jpeg

And with Fin, for comparison!

IMG_6977(1).jpg

Last edited: