Too green to hunt yet???

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Would you let the lass who occasionally rides your relatively newly backed horse (September) take her hunting next week? I've got so many reservations I don't know where to start! She's unshod. She's unfit. She's a chunky 14.2 gypsy cob and can only canter for a minute or two at a time or she breaks out in a mahoosive sweat. She's not experienced anything remotely like it. Rider a little nervous on her. Not sure if she would be expected to jump, gallop on roads, blindly follow 17hh hunters in/through/over things for 4 hrs. And also they do say that if you want to give a horse an adrenaline injection, take it hunting. I want her to stay a safe plod. I'm afraid she will get hurt or frightened or get tanked up every time she finds herself in a group of 3 or more horses.

Am I a killjoy or does this not feel right to anyone else? I understand that the novice riders can go home after a bit but not sure where they would be and how it would all end up if they were miles from home and it all went pear shaped from a fitness or nerves point of view.

????????????????????????????????????????????????

nikkiportia

Visit site
Just in case you need more opinions, it's a definate no from me too, for soooo many reasons
smile.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just in case you need more opinions, it's a definate no from me too, for soooo many reasons
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What she said ^
smile.gif
. Unfit. Too green. Yours (you should have the fun of the first hunt). And I'm sure I could think of some more if I wasn't asleep.

star

Visit site
definitely not! and mainly because she's unfit (although a heap of other reasons as well). hunting is not the place for unfit horses and riders - it's just asking for injuries and accidents.

Ingramah

Visit site
Absolutely no! Agree with everyone's comments. Apart from fitness issues you've spent a lot of time building trust and confidence whilst backing and training your horse. Seems a shame to risk all that work for someone else to get an adrenalin kick.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Definately not, I took a failry fit horse (1 hour a day 6 days a week work) hunting and he pulled a ligament and was off for months so I definately wouldn't take your unfit youngster, she could end up injuring herself very badly.

SilverSkye

Visit site
I think hunting is a fantastic experience for a youngster, but in this scenario there are far to many things asking to go wrong, so another no from me! Could you take the girl along in the car to have a look and follow either on foot or in the car, you could then maybe talk things through and her and horsey could maybe work towards cubbing next autumn.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Agree with what the others say - no as she not fit enough, she is yours and its not something you plan to do with long term. If you change your mind at a later date you can plan properly to get her fitter etc and then go cubbing as an introduction not half way through the season when the majority are fit and ready to go!

I f your sharer is desperate to try hunting suggest she gets a hireling for the day - cheaper than potential vets bills!