Too late to clip?

Ingramah

Visit site
Advice please. Have roughed off my horse over winter and now coming back into work. Usually work to rule of thumb that you don't clip after Feb but wonder why? Will this make such a difference to summer coat etc? Have never clipped this late before so any views welcome. Cheers.

JLav

Visit site
No it will make no difference whatsoever. It's an old wives tale that it will dull or ruin the summer coat!!

Hair is constantly growing and being replaced, only at certain times of year this process speeds up and the type of hair changes from the shorter finer summer hair to the longer thicker winter hair in Autumn and vice versa in Spring.

You can clip at any time of year and it will not affect the coat at all.

palomino698

Visit site
As above, it's only for serious showing that you might need to be concerned. We clip our oldies at Easter, and our old pony used to be done for the summer holidays too. They still get shiny summer coats.

hadfos

Visit site
I have a tb,yes stabled,but last month we were losing a few hairs,lol....after this mild weather,have stuck hand under rug today to stroke shoulder and it falling out in buckets
smile.gif
YIPPPEEE!!!personally dont think i would clip,think i would rug to make it come out!if you need to clip i would only take out girth and chest to save girth rubs
smile.gif

hadfos

Visit site
have to disagree....my lads coat comes through(never been clipped in the 13 yrs ownership)alot better and nicer than any horse that has had a clip!

JLav

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
will only make a difference if you intend to show at county level or above if not clip

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was on a yard with show horses they were all clipped late (ie April and May) and it did not affect them at all. The cobs were clipped all year round.

JLav

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
have to disagree....my lads coat comes through(never been clipped in the 13 yrs ownership)alot better and nicer than any horse that has had a clip!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh...but I would argue that as you have never seen what your horses coat is like after a clip you don't know for certain that it would be any different!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

My horses all have fabulous summer coats and are clipped out entirely (legs, head and all) From September to April and I don't have the bother of grooming out moulting hair!!!

I think the quality of the coat is more a reflection of general well being rather than any external influences.

hadfos

Visit site
I think the quality of the coat is more a reflection of general well being rather than any external influences.

actually,think i agree...my lad is on everything he needs to make his diet work
smile.gif
,his coat is like silk....one of the kiddies stroked him the other day on the yard and was like "WOW his hair is sooo soft",lol,i have never clipped,never needed to,i rug him up well and it works well,i just personally would rather see natural than clipped...preference i guess
smile.gif

Cahill

Visit site
i will be clipping mine and my shetland when the cold nights are finished(sometime this month).
i hate moulting and being covered in hairs.
after a couple of weeks,with a little growth they look fine.they will have a light rug on untill it grows for that couple of weeks.

Visit site
I never clip any later than the end of January as it interferes with the growth of the summer coat and you won't get a good summer coat if you clip any later. I'm sure she/he will be moulting soon anyway now that the days are getting longer so I wouldn't worry.
smile.gif