Too late to clip?

littleboyblue

Visit site
I usually do my final clip at the begining of jan, but he was only just coming back into walking fitness work and i didnt want him to freeze.
We've now progressed to schooling, jumping etc and he gets a bit sticky and sweaty.
We won't be doing any showing or anything and i'd do a full clip and he'd be well rugged up. I'm worried that if I dont clip him he'll become a hair monster!
So basically i'm asking if i'm too late to clip him?
Thanks for any help guys!

spaniel

Visit site
If he is getting sweaty being worked then of course you should clip him. You can clip at any time of year as long as you have rugs to cope.

121272MDV

Visit site
most horse books recommended you dont clip later than late november early december but i suppose its personal preference i personally think the begining of jan

shawny

spaniel

Visit site
Most horses dont read books.

Its hardly fair to make a horse hot and sweaty for the sake of a paragraph in a book. Do you suppose all those thousands of horses who go off compteting all year round are just left with no haircuts after a certain date? No of course they arent.

paulo

Visit site
personally i think its a bit late, wont be that long til summer
smile.gif

Unless he is getting very sweaty I'd be inclined to leave it for this year.

Tia

Visit site
It always used to be about the end of February that you did your final clip of the year, however don't forget that the seasons have changed a lot and to be honest if your horse is not shedding yet then there will be absolutely no problem with the growth of his summer coat.

As Spaniel says, lots of people these days clip all year round.

paulo

Visit site
my horse is such a wimp if i clipped her all year round she would never be without a rug, i appreciate thats probably just me! ..... each to their own
smile.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I may be wrong here but I think the old "too late to clip" thing stems from hunting. Clipping late dec/jan left horse still nicely clipped out until march time (as the hair growth slows down) but left them with enough warmth to be turned out at the end of the season.
G is extremely hairy. He is being brought into work slowly, but sweats like a pig lol. So to make things easier for us and more comforatable for him he is having a small clip. I don't intend on showing him this year so have no worries about hissummer coat (he hangs onto his winter coat until july anyway).

SarahNZ

Visit site
It's normally not too late to clip, as long as you get it done before the summer coat starts, so you might have time if done now.

JLav

Visit site
It won't make any difference if the summer coat has started or not. In my experience it does not affect it in any way whatsoever the hair will grow the same. I've always clipped out in March/April and the horses have wonderful coats.

Rainbowrider

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It won't make any difference if the summer coat has started or not. In my experience it does not affect it in any way whatsoever the hair will grow the same. I've always clipped out in March/April and the horses have wonderful coats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here....my horses have a lovely thin shiny coat in summer and I usually clip them March, or anytime I think they need it.

michb52

Visit site
I'm getting my mare clipped tonight! Poor thing is a sweaty mess when she does alot of work or competes! Not really worried about the summer coat as we only showjump tbh!

SarahNZ

Visit site
Hmmm well showie friends of mine would NEVER clip when the summer coat is coming out. But they are past Barastoc winners so I'm backing their advice!!

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I would only clip if your horse hasn't started to moult IMHO. I wanted to clip Angel but she has decided that summer's on the way and has already started to moult in handfuls. Booger !!!!

Saying that, I would not hesitate to clip my old fella but only because he has trouble moulting at his grand old age. Changing subject - poor old thing got cast last night !! Lucky for me YO's live on site and heard a noise coming from his box even though they were in bed and promptly went out to invesitate. Seems OK this morning though - thank goodness !!!!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Oh I realise for showing it can be different but OP said she wasn't planning on any
grin.gif

I decided to clip P in summer last year for the first time as he was simply getting too hot!! Best thing I ever did
grin.gif

Each to their own I suppose
grin.gif