Too light to Event??

S_N

Visit site
lol - there are plenty of scrawnily boned racehorses out there - tough buggers that just keep on going too. I am a little perplexed to say the least!

Sal_E

Visit site
I think it's an odd thing to say really - unless the horse really is puny & a real wimp & just wouldn't stand up to the required fitness level. Could said wimpy horse not then do a bit of SJ or do dressage..?

severnmiles

Visit site
Some people have preference to heavier boned horses but then let look at the Anglo Arab who won Badminton a few years back, he was very light indeed. One of the YR individual horses last year has barely 8.5 inches of bone and she's 2* so I'm not sure I'd ever say any horse is 'too light' to do anything. Its just personal preference.

xequusx

Visit site
horses r bred to do different things though - theyre bred to be light but with bone to do eventing, heavyweight for farm work, lightweight for racing etc it just depends on personal reference (as sevenmiles said lol!) ;-)

seabiscuit

Visit site
I am shocked that anyone could think that, there is no such thing as 'being too light to event'

A lot of the Rock King horses are TINY- if you ever see Rock Model, King of the Castle/Rock Chick,Penny Lane,(all international/ good eventers) they ALL have TINY bone- I would say less bone then my two flat race bred TB's. Rock Model prob has under 8 inches of bone and King of the Castle even less than that.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm no expert but I thought there are ex racehorses that event, surely you can't get much lighter then those, can you?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's is exactly what I thought too!

ElleJS

Visit site
thats very true about the RK horses (or most of them!) one of mine has less than 8inch for sure, shes a real toughy and finds advanced easy! the exception is the other RK who is built like a big warmblood! King of the castle is very light isn't he.

edited because I cant spell today.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF isn't exactly on the chunky side and yet she's tough as old boots. I suppose though part of getting her that way is that (aside from when she was in training, presumably) her workload has been increased very gradually and I watch her legs like a hawk.

Ps; I know PF doesn't event, but I'm sure she could if I wasn't such a coward
smile.gif