Too much Progesterone?

appennea

Visit site
My mare's on regumate and have been giving her slightly more than required as advised by the makers as we were getting towards the end of a big bottle (supposed to use in 28 days). However before ending last bottle there seemed to be some discharge between her thighs in the mornings - almost like squirts (I know, I know don't laugh!) and small amount of blood on her bits. Anyway new bottle now but her dosage hadn't been dropped back down. Yesterday finally crossed our minds that maybe it's actually her teats - think its coming out when she lies down at night??? Today under her teats is hard and swollen but not sore. Is this the regumate or????

kildalton

Visit site
My daughter's mare has just had a phantom pregnancy on regumate. She was running milk like a cow!
She has been really off colour too the past couple of weeks.Incidentally, she was on regumate last year, but it was porcine regumate not equine like this year, and she was fine.

appennea

Visit site
blimey that's interesting - is that the pig regumate? She bit someone without reason on Friday - perhaps she was feeling defensive?

kildalton

Visit site
Corroy has been really weird this year on equine regumate.If you want to PM my daughter, her user name is Kath_and _Corroy.We had the vet out last week as she was so "dead",but not a lot showed up.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Im sorry, I dont understand. Yove been giving her more to finish off the bottle because its a big and has to be used within 28 days? Its a bit like taking 2 anti conception pills a day cos ...!!!!! I hope Ive understood wrongly. Mairi
crazy.gif

appennea

Visit site
No I spoke to the manufacturers vet as the bottle is only supposed to be used for 28 days but as for only one horse lasts far longer but this is what my vets gave me. He advised that we up the dosage as it loses its potency rather than doesn't work at all - the livery yard forgot to drop it back down once the new bottle was open.

MeAndMrsT

New User
Visit site
Hi its so interesting to hear about your mare as have had exactly the same with my mare. First noticed it when took her to pc camp and rang the vet who was completley clueless and thought it was completely unrelated to the regumate. Have taken her off the regumate for the winter now and the lactation seems to have stopped (but she has come into season which seems to be provoked by taking her off the regumate as it happened the last time she stopped getting it too). Just out of interest has your mare ever been in foal as we think my girly had a foal before we bought her and were thinknig it could be related to that?