Too Old to ride, let alone P2P!!

RuthnMeg

Visit site
I think my dad is bonkers. In fact I know he is. You see my dad is 66, he moved lock, stock and barrel in March - by that I mean he moved farm, not just house. All of his 'junk', tractors and all other farm machinary possible (old machinary here as he refuses to be modern!), not to mention his 100+ head of beef cattle. This in itself has taken some toll on him. He had a double hip replacement 2 years ago, and is currently suffering with a few other ailments, mainly involving high blood pressure.
He used to ride - alot. He lived for his P2Ping and has brought his 2 previous horses at Ascot sales. He has hunted alot too, and wants to 'go out' again.
He now seems to think it the ideal oppotunity to go out, buy a horse, hack it out a few times, then hunt it and then ride it at a meeting. He hasn't got the time, nor the fittness/health to do it, yet he is ademant (sp?) that is what he wants to do. I think it would kill him. He hasn't ridden for about 10 years. I have to help him (when I can) just herding the cows in as he can't do it solo anymore.
What do I do or say to him to change his mind? HELP.

ihatework

Visit site
He sounds bonkers in a loveable sort of way!
Not sure what to suggest really, perhaps take him out for a long hack on something relatively sane - surely at 66 and after 10 years off riding even that would make him ache enough to reconsider?

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
OMG it must be an age thing. My parents are both in their late 60's and neither have been on a horse for nigh on 40 years. Suddenly last year they decided it would be fun to go for a hack whilst on holiday in Northumberland. Thankfully the riding school wasn't able to accomodate them but mother is still on about buying a horse "just to potter around on". She too has a few ailments including high blood pressure.

No idea what you can say to your dad but you do have my sympathies. Ever get the feeling the parent child relationship has been reversed!!

RuthnMeg

Visit site
True, but he has to buy the horse first! That in itself could cause problems as he thinks his old rice trailer is road worthy - its not. (he was going to give it to me to sell on as a nice guesture, but now he wants to keep it for this!)

izzabella

Visit site
had the same thing with my grandma who used to ride. she had one hip replaced then said she wanted to buy a horse and ride again so i said why didnt she have some riding lessons to see how she felt. she did this and found she couldnt cope and so decided to give it up again.

she is a stubborn single minded lady and we managed to put her of with a riding lesson so u should try it

baymareb

Visit site
Well, I'll be the devil's advocate here. The man's an adult - let him do what he wants. It's his money, his time, his health.

I'm 50 years old. I've had neck surgery and 2 knee surgeries. I have chronic arthritis. At the time I bought my horse, I hadn't ridden in 10 years. I bought a 4 year old TB mare straight off the track and you know what? I'm having a ball with her and it's done more for my health than anything else could possibly have done.

There's a lot to be said for doing things you truly enjoy and for someone like me who rode most of my life, there was still enough muscle memory left that I didn't have any significant soreness. The joy I get out of it makes me forget the arthritis, I ride just fine, thank you very much, and if I can get my mare to the point where she'll hunt without our being asked to leave, you can bet I will. In a heartbeat.

He may discover that hacking gives him what he wants. Let him do it.

SKY

Visit site
it might get him fit, and take his mind of problems. support him and watch him, is all you can do. dads make us all worry well i know mine does.

amc

Visit site
I'm with baymareb on this ! I have had a replacement knee and I'm in my 50's, I'd ridden all my life but gave up 7 years before knee op and now I'm having the best time with my horse and agree that he's done more for me than any doctors/drugs have managed, apart from knee surgeon, let him have a go and see how he gets on, I'm jumping/XC and will be hunting this season too.........I just love it ! Also feel 12 years old again ! You might be pleasantly surprised by your father although there is no way on earth I'd P-P again ! Think it was much easier 30 years ago ! XX

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Oh god, he sounds a bit like my dad. My dad used to hunt and he rode in the hunts P to P members races (30 years ago!)

He hasn't ridden in years and years either, but he was forced to stop due to a cronically bad back. He still walks with a limp because of his back. Dad was the one who convinced me to buy an ex-racehorse last year after my oldies became too old and I was finally ready for a new horse.

Anyway, my ex racehorse has turned out to be a bit more bonkers than I anticipated, but everytime I go and visit my parents for dinner, the conversation is all about next time he comes up, he wants to get back into the saddle and take my boy out!
.....shudder the thought...... I think it would finish him off

TBH I think the memories he has of the good times are still strong and he likes talking about it and even though he says he's going to ride my boy out, in reality I don't think he would.
Perhaps it's similar with your dad?

SophieRIDSH

Visit site
Well, I'll be the devil's advocate here. The man's an adult - let him do what he wants. It's his money, his time, his health.

I'm 50 years old. I've had neck surgery and 2 knee surgeries. I have chronic arthritis. At the time I bought my horse, I hadn't ridden in 10 years. I bought a 4 year old TB mare straight off the track and you know what? I'm having a ball with her and it's done more for my health than anything else could possibly have done.

There's a lot to be said for doing things you truly enjoy and for someone like me who rode most of my life, there was still enough muscle memory left that I didn't have any significant soreness. The joy I get out of it makes me forget the arthritis, I ride just fine, thank you very much, and if I can get my mare to the point where she'll hunt without our being asked to leave, you can bet I will. In a heartbeat.

He may discover that hacking gives him what he wants. Let him do it.

LOL, I'm 61 and my older daughter told me I ought to cut back because of my age. I told her I would rather wear out than rust out. Aside from the posibility of injury exercise is bery benificial to people, and that includes older people.

His body will tell him what he can and cannot do and he will listen to that more than he will listen to a person.

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Thankyou for all your replys. Iam worried, he is so stubon and takes too many risks with everything he does. He rides in a cap, and will also use the old tack that fitted his old horse 30 years ago!
BUT as many of you say, he is an adult, and its his choice. I just hope I don't have to pick up the pieces. OR maybe its all talk? only time will tell.

Rana

Visit site
Obviously it's up to him, but could you appeal to his financial sense? Buying a horse won't be cheap, and trying one out won't be easy if he hasn't ridden for a while. Could you talk him into having a few lessons/hacks/treks at a local place first? Just to get his seat and balance back. Then if he feels fine and still wants to go for it, surely there's no harm. I know of people who are still hunting and are older than he is :)

Binkybex

Visit site
Sounds like my dad!

He doesnt p2p anymore but gets frustrated with some of our friends not riding their horses enough. For instance there was a v bored stallion who's owner was frankly scared of it and dad pretty much broke him in and took him hacking which he loved!

He also insists on riding in old nickle stirups and so on, we did steal his hat and replace it with a new one :)

He gives my mother and I nightmares but to be honest I wouldn't have him any other way and I hope that when I get to his age I am just as reckless!