Too tall for ponies?

itsapiebald

Visit site
I'm 5ft7 and ride a 13.1hh Welsh section C, she's quite chunky and weighs about 340kg and I weigh about 8 and a half stone. I do look abit tall on her but do I weigh too much?

We mainly hack and school and will pop a jump every now and then...

I don't own her I just exercise her but treat her like my own, really couldn't think of anything worse than giving her up 💔

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'm 5ft8 and even at my skinniest couldn't achieve 8st anything. I have a 13.1 Welsh C I ride for my daughter and she has absolutely no issue carrying me. Indeed she can still fly with me on board!

0DCFDD43-3FD8-4E82-8E09-81327456B1A3_zpsjoh3sts9.jpg

45e65144c6c0e8def60151d7917fbe6a_zps9a0869dd.jpg

I've had her for 4 years and done everything with her with no issues. I did a 25km endurance ride with her as well and her heart rate was 31 when we left and 31 when vetted after it and she had been keeping up with two big 16.2s and nearly ended up too fast for the allowed time.

Welshes are brilliant you are absolutely fine for her.

itsapiebald

Visit site
Thankyou for your reply! I'm glad someone thinks I don't weigh too much for her, when people start to make comments about how i look on her it really makes me feel bad for riding her xxx

HorseMad91

Visit site
Hiya your definitely not too heavy, i'm about 5'6 and weigh about 9st and my 13.3 Welsh C is pretty chunky and has no problems with me riding her, enjoy yourself you'll know if your pony is struggling :)

Horsemad 123

Visit site
I'm 5'3", weigh 10.5 st and have a 14hh section c (I know officially Should upgrade her to a D) who weights 450kg. She's a real old fashioned type and is as wide as she is tall.

Opinions on me riding her? I'm a bit of a worrier!

be positive

Visit site
I'm 5'3", weigh 10.5 st and have a 14hh section c (I know officially Should upgrade her to a D) who weights 450kg. She's a real old fashioned type and is as wide as she is tall.

Opinions on me riding her? I'm a bit of a worrier!

You are fine as well, these welshies are strong, at 10.5 stone you are about 15% of her weight so within her capabilities.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Thankyou for your reply, from looking at your photos I look about the same as you do on your pony so that's a relief! Xxx

I'm sure you look much better. :). With mine there is no other rider available and since I want my daughter to have a good pony I'll do all the work. Another year and then she'll be on her I hope. She's not an easy ride, nothing bad just a typical Welsh!

itsapiebald

Visit site
I'm sure you look much better. :). With mine there is no other rider available and since I want my daughter to have a good pony I'll do all the work. Another year and then she'll be on her I hope. She's not an easy ride, nothing bad just a typical Welsh!

Got to love welshies!
It's the same with the mare I ride, she's abit crazy. She's the right size for a child but you couldn't trust her!

windand rain

Visit site
Seems a funny thing to say but it really depends on how long your body is. My son in law is over six foot tall standing up but sitting on a chair he looks to be the same height as my 5ft 8 son he just has longer legs and a short back

GirlFriday

Visit site
You are fine as well, these welshies are strong, at 10.5 stone you are about 15% of her weight so within her capabilities.

So, just about OK for riding naked and without tack - fabulous!

Personally whilst some of the pairings here might be fine as a one off with fit pony nobe are what I'd seek to put together.

mga4ever

Visit site
Personally I would say you are fine. I am much heavier than you, 10st3 and 5ft8. I have been competing my 14:2 Arab at national level competitions for the past 13 years and he has coped fine and won a world title along the way.

itsapiebald

Visit site
Seems a funny thing to say but it really depends on how long your body is. My son in law is over six foot tall standing up but sitting on a chair he looks to be the same height as my 5ft 8 son he just has longer legs and a short back

I can see where your coming from, it's not that I have really long legs (my legs aren't hanging below her belly) but I've got quite a long body so look taller

itsapiebald

Visit site
Personally I would say you are fine. I am much heavier than you, 10st3 and 5ft8. I have been competing my 14:2 Arab at national level competitions for the past 13 years and he has coped fine and won a world title along the way.
Wow that's amazing, it's really nice to see tall riders on ponies and small horses and doing so well!!!

Kadastorm

Visit site
I'm 5'10 and my weight fluctuates around the 10st mark. My old pony was a 13.2hh NF and he carried me just fine, pinging over SJ and XC and prancing around at dressage. My current pony is a fine 14.1hh Irish, again, not a problem carrying me.