Took a tumble at the weekend :(

Ridererror

Visit site
Well and truly lived up to my forum name in a jumping lesson at the weekend.

I managed to take a wrong turn and run late for my lesson. Phoned instructor who said its fine just get here when you can and we will work something out around conflicting lessons.... so by the time I got there (15 minutes late) I was in a state and was insistent they didn't have to take me but instructor was really good and had a plan to fit everything in.

All going well jumped a couple no problems. Then on the fourth jump - over a simple cross pole...I made a stupid mistake, leaned forward too early, knocked horse off balance who hesitated before then taking the leap. I lost a stirrup and kind of threw into tha eir. I just remember the feeling of my head hitting the pole....ouchie! The poor horse, bless him, stood perfectly still as soon as I was off. I was in tears but I got back on and popped the jump without issue before having to call it a day.

A bit battered and bruised and my pride slightly dented but I am OK. There is a small dent in my hat though so it was a good excuse to treat myself to a shiny new one :)

Instructor said I done well to get back on and jump the jump (I probably shouldn't have given to the state I was in but I had to do it)

It was meant to be over a week until our next jumping lesson but I managed to get another squeezed in for this week as I didn't want to leave it too long to jump "properly" again after the fall!

Done my usual overthinking of the situation - I am crap, I should just give up any jumping and stick to slower paced things, my instructor will think I am rubbish, I have undone all the progress and will be back to basics.

But I am looking forward to this weeks lesson now just to get back into the swing of it.

Ridererror

Visit site
Well done for getting back on - it helps. Falls are a fact of life when riding and most often pride is the most significant injury!

Thank you! I believe it is the best thing to do and sometimes best just to do it before you have too much time to think about what just happened eek!

Ridererror

Visit site
well done for getting back on! Im another who's guilty of getting back on when they probably shouldn't. We make mistakes to learn from them, take a breath, and have another crack at it!

Yup certainly not a mistake I will make again in a hurry. I don't think it helped that I was already in a bit of a state from being late!

I think it is good to get straight back on before you have too much time to think/worry about it

Lacuna

Visit site
Well done for looking forward to next week. Last time I went leaping, I got left behind the movement as he took off early, whacked my hand on the back of his neck and broke my metacarpal (hand bone). Didn't come off though!

Its just healed up after 6 weeks - and only just back in the saddle.