Pictures Took my youngster to Dartmoor

MarvelVillis

Visit site
So, a week ago today I moved my 3 year old gelding to a lovely, quiet yard on the doorstep of Dartmoor. The main reason for the move is we're moving house in a couple of months and this yard will be a 5 minute drive from my new house (yipee!) but also my old yard didn't have the best facilities for starting his ridden career, which I'm looking to do when he turns 4.

Anyway, there's a bridleway 30 seconds from the yard which takes you straight up to the moors, so I thought this weekend would be perfect to take him out on a walk. I was a bit apprehensive about how he would behave (open spaces, walkers, dogs, scary sheep, cows, Dartmoor ponies!) but he was good as gold and really did me proud. He got a bit excited when we reached the top of the beacon as he saw a couple of Dartmoor ponies, so we didn't stay long to enjoy the views... but hopefully he'll calm down after we've been up there a few more times.

11.jpg
22.jpg
33.jpg
44.jpg
55.jpg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh wow, fabulous! Takes me back, I was on a couple of yards where I could hack onto the moor, one near Ilsington and the other I can’t quite remember where, but it was also within hacking distance of Haytor via a stony track like the one in your pic.

Very envious!