Tool for clearing low branches or brush when trail riding

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Here are a three instances of when going out on a trail ride has met with an overgrown trail and the horse or rider not being willing or able to push through.

First was on a two hour trail ride about three years ago, with the senior instructor (who I suspect retired in 2017; I've not seen her around since about May). Six or eight of us from the riding centre were on a trail through the forest that we used to follow two or three times a year, but hadn't been on for several months. We got to a spot where new growth had come through right on the trail, fast growing, supple shoots of about three feet high, fairly close together, about 1/4 inch thick. On foot, I would easily be able to walk through it, pushing the shoots to the side. The leader's horse refused to go through; however much she tried, he just would not go.

Second was a similar situation with a younger leader. This time a tree had fallen across the trail and was resting about a foot off the ground. Heavy rains had softened the ground at some time, and strong winds had pushed the tree over, leaving the tree alive with plenty of root in the soil: loads of young grown coming straight up off the trunk, almost making a hedge. Again, soft grown, but the horse refused to step through it. I was bringing up the rear of the column, and turned my horse off the track and managed to get him to push through more saplings to go around the tree, and the others followed.

Third and last was on a three day ride in September 2017 (three of us: the leader, an experienced German lady rider of around 60, and myself) that involved a section down a path behind an agricultural college. Bushes and trees (lots of climbing roses, blackthorn, bramble, mixed in with the small trees) making almost a tunnel at the start of a quite steep descent towards a stream. The German lady was at the head at this time, and she got her horse to go into the path, but the rider's clothes and helmet were getting snagged on the branches and thorns... The leader had her maps out and found another path down, but it took us out of our way and didn't fix the basic problem of an overgrown trail. The next riders (if there are any) down there will have the same problem, and probably worse.

Knowing that these trails are often left unmaintained, but that there is no legal restriction where I am to prevent me from clearing an existing path (I'm not talking about cutting a new path), what would be a good set of tools?

• I had a folding saw and a couple of decent knives with me on the three day ride, but wouldn't use a saw while on horseback (it's slow, often needs two hands to hold the branch while sawing).
  • I have an Ontario 410-10 field knife, and I've read recommendations for trail riders to carry this kind of knife or (even a machete) in a sheath suspended from a stirrup bar, for brush clearance.
  • I've also thought about secateurs or loppers: I have a pair of Spear and Jackson ratchet-mechanism secateurs that will cut green hardwood up to about 1/2 inch thick quite easily, and have a pair of branch loppers that I could adapt to have removable handles.

I have some other chopping knives that I use around the garden, the Martindale is similar in thickness to the Ontario, but considerably longer and more pointy, the heavy Columbian made 14 inch golok machete I think is too big and heavy for riding, and a kukri. Or I could either make up my own tool or get one made up to my design...

Any ideas about this?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Presumably you are in the US; in the UK there are laws preventing someone going around with a large knife or machete.
I have carried secateurs in the past. Personally I would not be comfortable carrying an open blade on horseback anyway for safety reasons. If you need to clear large sections then go back on foot or in a vehicle with the correct tools. Sorry, but the laws here are restrictive so this probably isn't the right forum to ask on.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I’ve carried secateurs too but mostly I just have a better pony who will push through/clamber/hop over where I ask :p

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have carried secateurs and a folding pruning saw on rare occasions, when knowing a route is blocked.
Have only once used the pruning saw when on board, but otherwise have hopped off to deal with.
NF is v good at off roading and v happy to make a trail round or barge through or even jump what's in the way.
These days I'm more likely to take implements when dog walking to clear stuff prior to long reining tiny fuzzy out :)

paddy555

Visit site
I carry a saddle bag with secateurs, a folding saw and a glove (to protect my hand if it is gorse or brambles.) I trim whilst sitting on the horse to give me height. Both hands on the saw and branch or secateurs and branch. Horse usually takes part by eating parts of the tree whilst I am cutting it.
Anything more I get off, leave the horse to graze and attack the problem at ground level.
Have done this for more years than I care to remember with no problems.

pennyturner

Visit site
I may be wrong, but I believe that the UK law has exemptions for tools where there is a legitimate reason for carrying them. Personally I take the tractor down a couple of local bridleways once a year, carrying with me a 2ft bill hook, which will get through anything up to about 4" thick.

Biggest problem is not the law, but carrying something safely on horseback. I'd probably go with a folding pruning saw. Wouldn't carry the bill hook on horseback, as could injure me or the horse (quite dangerous enough on the tractor!)

huskydamage

Visit site
If I know I need to use a badly maintained path, I will go and trim it first with some shears and check its safe to get through before I try to ride it. I have to do this regularly with a bridleway near me or I will get my face ripped off by thorns. I wouldn't carry things with me while riding though.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I believe that the UK law has exemptions for tools where there is a legitimate reason for carrying them. Personally I take the tractor down a couple of local bridleways once a year, carrying with me a 2ft bill hook, which will get through anything up to about 4" thick.

Biggest problem is not the law, but carrying something safely on horseback. I'd probably go with a folding pruning saw. Wouldn't carry the bill hook on horseback, as could injure me or the horse (quite dangerous enough on the tractor!)

You're right that in English law, I can carry whatever I want, as long as I have a good reason for it: axe, hatchet, bill hook, kukri, machete... clearing a path or bridleway is very definitely a good reason.

Carrying a kukri or that Ontario 410-10 on horseback would not be unsafe, while it is sheathed.

I'm not sure that I could use a saw from horseback, since I've always found that to saw through even a thin branch, I need to hold the branch with my left hand while working the saw with my right hand... I think that my movement on the horse's back, the inevitable movement of the branch and my upper body will make the horse move at least a little, and that's likely to make the saw stick in the cut and possibly break the blade. Even with a pull-cut saw, as the ones I have in mind are.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm not sure that I could use a saw from horseback, since I've always found that to saw through even a thin branch, I need to hold the branch with my left hand while working the saw with my right hand... I think that my movement on the horse's back, the inevitable movement of the branch and my upper body will make the horse move at least a little, and that's likely to make the saw stick in the cut and possibly break the blade. Even with a pull-cut saw, as the ones I have in mind are.

yes you need both hands.
Train the horse to stand still whilst you are working on him. If your body is going to make him move teach him a voice command to stand. For mine that is Ho, very sharply