Toothpaste experts please......

applecart14

Visit site
My 5 year old had a small round hairless discoloured patch on his nose last year, which the vet said not to worry about. This year, he said it was an occult sarcoid and to put toothpaste on it, because we couldn't use Liverpool cream at this time of the year due to flies, which I have been doing for 2 weeks now.

After reading Derek Knottenbelts reaction to the toothpast furore I can't believe your VET yes VET says this is okay to do.

Prof Knottenbelt estimates that he now sees 2 or 3 sarcoid cases a week that owners have tried to treat using toothpaste.

“It is completely ludicrous; this is cancer that we are dealing with,” he told H&H.

“Imagine if you went to the doctor with cancer and they sent you to the supermarket to buy toothpaste"

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news...hpaste-to-treat-sarcoids/#iWkRvsTmsRrhfhoL.99

Maybe if we rub a bit of colgate onto peoples breasts when they have breast cancer it will save them having chemo. Unbelievable. (roll eyes but with no icon to use).

Last edited:

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Lots of people try different therapies solutions for cancer treatment - you only have to read Gloria Hunniford's book about her daughter Karin to see that.
Toothpaste is afterall put into our delicate mouths, so hardly a drastic treatment to try. Liiverpool cream is terribly harsh and painful to the horse. I have yet to see the evidence that toothpaste has actually caused harm. Vets like to sell solutions.

pines of rome

Visit site
Well it was what I had said that the professor was referring too!
I was only sharing something that I had found to work for my horse, I was not telling anyone else to go out and do it!
Quite frankly toothpaste is something you can put in a child,s mouth ,so I am afraid I personally do not feel it can do harm, at worst it just won,t work! Liverpool cream is not without its failures and has made some cases a lot worse!
At the end of the day I do not suppose professionals want us treating our own horses with a 99p tube of toothpaste when they can charge us hundreds of pounds for their treatments!!!:rolleyes:

k_sandy93

Visit site
My 5 year old had a small round hairless discoloured patch on his nose last year, which the vet said not to worry about. This year, he said it was an occult sarcoid and to put toothpaste on it, because we couldn't use Liverpool cream at this time of the year due to flies, which I have been doing for 2 weeks now. The patch has now changed in that from being black with a few slightly raised bumps it now has raised and sore looking pink patches where the toothpaste has been sticking. I originally started picking the toothpaste off, but he resents that, so I've just been adding more toothpaste and just pulling off the flaking bits whenever the opportunity presents, then adding more toothpaste. He's just rubbed his face in the haynet, and pulled all the toothpaste off, and one of the pink patches has a tiny pinprick of blood in the centre, although this could be a prickle from the hay, I suppose.

Since all the vet said was to put toothpaste on it, I don't know how long I should be putting the toothpaste on for - I've read on other threads that the toothpaste only sticks to the sarcoid, so do I keep putting toothpaste on until the skin underneath is black again, or what? And should I persist with picking it off, or just wait until he knocks it off again?

Help please!

I had my vets out to sedate my mare the other day (just for the dentist), she had serious sarcoid problems, various types including two massive occult ones. It was about 18 months ago when we noticed them and she had Lincoln cream and laser surgery to remove them, they came back once but after applying the cream they never came back..

She asked if any had returned, and I said no (obviously haha). She was laughing about the rumors she hears abotu sarcoids and she said that toothpaste is the WORST thing you could apply to them. It really irritates the skin, like any other supplement or cream you may apply.

We really regret going ahead with the surgery/cream. The agony it puts the horse through is so painful to watch. My mare had 4 months worth of it, she could barely walk. We still kick ourselves today as to be honest, with most of them being occult they werent causing her any problems. The only reason we went ahead with the treatment is she had a fibourous one (think they are the ones like a lump) under her girth, so it was in the way. As soon as they realised she was insured, they zapped all 20+ of them, but as I said she was in pain for months as the Linlcoln cream is highly toxic and eats and burns away at the skin for weeks..

fatpiggy

Visit site
I had my vets out to sedate my mare the other day (just for the dentist), she had serious sarcoid problems, various types including two massive occult ones. It was about 18 months ago when we noticed them and she had Lincoln cream and laser surgery to remove them, they came back once but after applying the cream they never came back..

She asked if any had returned, and I said no (obviously haha). She was laughing about the rumors she hears abotu sarcoids and she said that toothpaste is the WORST thing you could apply to them. It really irritates the skin, like any other supplement or cream you may apply.

We really regret going ahead with the surgery/cream. The agony it puts the horse through is so painful to watch. My mare had 4 months worth of it, she could barely walk. We still kick ourselves today as to be honest, with most of them being occult they werent causing her any problems. The only reason we went ahead with the treatment is she had a fibourous one (think they are the ones like a lump) under her girth, so it was in the way. As soon as they realised she was insured, they zapped all 20+ of them, but as I said she was in pain for months as the Linlcoln cream is highly toxic and eats and burns away at the skin for weeks..

I have incredibly sensitive skin and often have bad reactions to things like cleansers and make up (my usual foundation maker brought out a new formula and that was the end of that!) but I can perfectly safely put a dab of neat toothpaste on a zit so it really can't be that irritant. One thing I would ask the vets here is, if it is useless, unsuitable or whatever, why have vets in the US been using it for decades, on many occasions with excellent results? Liverpool cream is most definitely a major solution to the problem but I would agree that it is seriously nasty stuff. I don't know if anything has changed, but vets didn't used to allow owners to medicate their horses with it themselves because it was considered to be so dangerous, plus the horses can get very sore and the owner risks getting a kicking.
I have to say though that I am Derek Knottenbelt's number one fan. He gave my horse the chance to have a long life and when she was finally PTS last year he sent me such a lovely kind message. We always did disagree as to what was behind her problem though!