Top jumper may be for sale .... (questions & prices too) please help..

show_jumper

Visit site
hello everyone...

so... as some as you know ... im in the middle of a move to the usa.... and my best jumping horse is still in the uk based with a friend of mine.. and getting fit after his christmas holiday....

my dilemma is..... i may have to sell him... as i just dont know if moving him to the states is the right thing to do (plus a gigantic financial blow!!!)...

but what with not being back in the uk at the mo.... i dont know what the climate is like for selling horses....

so...

he's 16.3 ISH by ballinvella. chestnut gelding. 10 years old. ive had him since he was broken and he's now jumping up to fox 1.25m.
he was 4th in the hickstead novice derby 08, and was winning fox 09, )he schools at home 1.35m no problems )and then had a christmas holiday while i started making my move and is getting back up to fitness now....
hes a snaffle mouth, easy ride, NEVER ever stops, jumps water, ditches, dykes, hedges etc etc, never spooky to a fence, loves his job and turns like a pony and is easy to see a stride on!
he's sure to bring someone SO much joy, and its a truly heartbreaking sale... (i know ill be a mess when people try him)
hes a really wonderful horse and has to go to a top top home for life (thats a definite)

so.....

what sort of price would you put on him?

do you think horses are selling ok at the moment??

any advice would be fab

thanks (hope that all made sense)

Rambo

Visit site
It's hard to say really without knowing a bit more...what are his notionals and actuals at the moment, how far do you genuinely think he will go, perhaps a photo too. Is he ultra careful, does he always jump DC. In the Fox's he's won and placed have they had decent entries ?

I'd put a price range on of somewhere between £12k - £15k initially...but clearly if he has genuine potential to be a competitive 1.30m or even 1.40m+ horse then i'd say a fair bit more.

show_jumper

Visit site
im not sure what his winning are off the top of my head i think hes about £325/250 not £550/600 actual?? ill check though....

he would jump 1.35/1.40 - hes got the biggest bravest heart and is very carefull and rarely touches a pole.. but to be honest i'd rather him go to a home thats happy to jump up to about 1.30 ish and just have fun...... if that makes sense??

how to i attach photos?? (not very good with the comp)

Rambo

Visit site
He sounds like a cracker...and at the right time in his career too. He could be worth a fair bit more than my original suggestion then...but to be honest you're getting into the muddy water there between amateur and professional horses. If he's quick and easy to ride then your best best might be to aim him at a high end amateur home as there is good money out there for such animals. If you target the pro route i think you'd need more proof of ability at the higher levels...remember Fox/1.25m is the starting point in that league.

If you want to add a photo, you need to upload the picture(s) to somewhere like photobucket.com (accounts are free) and then they provide the link for you to paste into this dialogue. You can't directly upload photo's onto HHO...

DarkHorseB

Visit site
He sounds lovely but I'm not sure he'd be worth anything like that amount
confused.gif

I think a professional / serious amateur would view a horse that was still jumping Foxhunter at age 10 as nothing special. If he is as straightforward as he sounds I would think better to market him as young riders horse. And I would think more likely £8k -£9.5k.
Is there no one in the past that has expressed a real interest if he ever came up for sale?

hedgehog1

Visit site
Yeah I agree with DarkHorseB - still doing Fox at 10 would be a real downside and he definatley lacks mileage.
That will really affect the price
I am not trying to diss your horse by the way - he sounds lush! But I would say about 10k, if hes sound sound safe and easy around 1.25.

BBH

Visit site
I think he sounds like a good option for you Rambo, an ideal horse for someone who takes their jumping seriously but doesn't want to go down the professional route.

Come on get that wallet out
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
I hear what you are saying re: his age and 'only' jumping fox/1.25m at the moment...but can't help thinking a horse that can place well in the Novice Derby at Hickers is worth a bit more than your average 'fox' horse. The Novice Derby is often won by very good pro's on good young horses...and it's quick too. To place 4th (behind Shane Breen if my memory serves me right that year) from a field of some 125+ is very good. Bear in mind too on the age front that if this is an amateur home it is likely the horse won't have progressed as quickly as it would with a pro. That's not a bad thing though...

I stand by the £12k to £15k I originally said...and possibly more if it has potential to go bigger (and be competitive)
tongue.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think he sounds like a good option for you Rambo, an ideal horse for someone who takes their jumping seriously but doesn't want to go down the professional route.

Come on get that wallet out
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha...well he is the sort of horse I would go for...but unfortunately I'm not in the market for anything else just yet
tongue.gif

As for me taking my SJ'ing seriously...I don't think that holds true these days...I'm only jumping about 7 or 8 shows a year now...and nothing for about 2.5 months now
frown.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I would take the risk and ship him to USA as he would be worth mega bucks for being so sensible and taking an amateur round 1.20m plus. You can always have a bit of fun and compete him yourself to begin with.
I have seen PN eventers going for $20,000.

vam

Visit site
Free to me please! Would love a horse like that.
grin.gif

If he is safe and easy enough for a amateur then 10k is easy enough to get. If he still has scope for more thenmaybe another 5k. I've seen horses advertised for more doing/done less, i am quite rubbish at these thou.

natalia

Visit site
about 8- 10 k. No more. He's not a top class horse, but a fun high end am. ride. We paid 8k for a 9 yr old a few weeks ago that has jumped 1.35 in germany, but not very easy ride as needs a pro.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
and to me that is where the difference is. As an amateur I want nice horses I can ride so will therefore pay more. I think at £8 to £10k the OP's horse would be cheap. Give me the fun high end amateur horse that cost me more any day of the week than the perhaps more talented one that I cannot ride half a side of.

IMO I dont think you can really use the price paid for a 1.35m horse that needs a pro as a guideline for pricing a genuine top end amateurs horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'd say £10,000, purely based on the fact that he's got £600 max BSJA money. I'd expect a pure showjumper to have more than that as a 10yr old.

As lec said - if I were you I'd definately do some research on the market in your state. Horse prices there are absolutely ridiculous, I've seen very "average" looking horses jumping 2'9 courses at £15k! Their prices really do make me laugh (and make me consider shipping my own horse there to sell!).

X

xspiralx

[ QUOTE ]

As lec said - if I were you I'd definately do some research on the market in your state. Horse prices there are absolutely ridiculous, I've seen very "average" looking horses jumping 2'9 courses at £15k! Their prices really do make me laugh (and make me consider shipping my own horse there to sell!).

[/ QUOTE ]

And the rest!

Take a look at these babies:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1471854&share_this=Y
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1506855&share_this=Y
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1471121&share_this=Y
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1482033&share_this=Y
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1468094&share_this=Y

Between 50-90k for horses that aren't competing over 3ft6, *snort*

So yes, OP, I would definitely advise shipping him over - stick him in a few hunter and eq classes and you can add a zero to your asking price
grin.gif

show_jumper

Visit site
easy said than done- lets not forget that it cosr $10k to fly him - and then the 'trainer' they insists on using constantly and the hunter jumpers are soooo fussy

and im based in california which gets soooo hot in summer

thanks

vicky86

Visit site
I have known of a couple of horses that have been sold at this level and around this sort of age and I think one went for around 12k and one for 15k. Neither were as genuine as your horse sounds either. Ive been helping someone look for a horse for her daughter just to do a bit of everything on up to about elementary dressage and 1.10m jumping and have found very little of quality for under 8k, so in my opinion I would say your horse is worth 12k at the very least. Quality, straight forward horses arent cheap unless you are very, very lucky. Good luck, he sounds like a real star and I feel for you being stuck in this situation
frown.gif

TarrSteps

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Between 50-90k for horses that aren't competing over 3ft6, *snort*

So yes, OP, I would definitely advise shipping him over - stick him in a few hunter and eq classes and you can add a zero to your asking price
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, you have to understand how competitive those classes are - they take a very specific type of horse and it it doesn't look and jump exactly the right way, even if it's capable at a lower rated show, the money is not going to be there. Jumping 3'6" is the least of it.

People ask all sorts of money for horses. It's what they sell them for that counts. And yes, there are lots of delusional sellers about.
smile.gif

And yes, there are people with money to spend in the US but almost anyone who sells horses there will tell you it's not exactly boom times right now.

That said, IF the OP's horse would fit a slot people will pay for in the US, I'd agree it might be worth taking the horse, either to sell right away or to keep. IF she's going to one of the right areas and has the contacts to put the horse with the right people.

show_jumper

Visit site
completely agree Tarrsteps.

thanks for all advice guys!! ill be home to see him soon and i know he'll help me make the decision......

i still really want to bring him but i dont know what to do - oh these flipping horses - why are they so easy to buy - far to easy to fall in love with and SO hard to sell!! lol

thanks everyone