Top Spec Lite

alexomahony

Visit site
My horses have been on Top Spec Lite now for about 8 months and one of them, who’s never needs back shoes is now *possibly* needing them - I just have a feeling it’s possibly linked and I’d like to avoid it if I can. They were on Pure Easy before TS, and just Happy Hoof before that (no balancer).

I began giving them a balancer to make sure they got what they needed - both good doers who only need token gestures for supplements.

I’m tempted to give Thunderbrooks a go - could someone help me with what I’d need. I’m guessing the Herbal Chaff plus Synergy?

Any other suggestions that may help?

TIA!

Littlewills

Visit site
Topspec is a pretty poor balancer, unfortunately. I would swap to equimns advance complete. When I started them on it, the difference in mines feet was dramatic!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Go back to the Pure feeds.
The veteran one was what I put B Fuzzy on 2 years ago when she came back looking poor after foal weaned. Her feet improved no end and the condition went on slowly but steadily.
She wasn't/isn't a veteran but is only 10 now. I rate the veteran feeds over most others to improve all aspects of a poor doing animal.
The mini ponies would have a handful in a bucket too.

I used to use ts balancers but stopped about 3 years ago.

alexomahony

Visit site
What was the reason you changed from Pure feeds? All of mine are on Pure Fibre Balance and are all thriving on it. TS doesn't get the best write ups if you ask me.

I was a little concerned that mine don't really get the volume needed to reap the benefits - so swapped them from Pure to Hi-fi Lite and TS Lite.

They loved the Pure so I think that's the way forward.

It's odd - when I was researching which to swap them too before, I found lots of great write ups about TS, but since then everything I've read has been quite poor.

alexomahony

Visit site
Go back to the Pure feeds.
The veteran one was what I put B Fuzzy on 2 years ago when she came back looking poor after foal weaned. Her feet improved no end and the condition went on slowly but steadily.
She wasn't/isn't a veteran but is only 10 now. I rate the veteran feeds over most others to improve all aspects of a poor doing animal.
The mini ponies would have a handful in a bucket too.

I used to use ts balancers but stopped about 3 years ago.

Yes I think this is what I'll do :)

HeyMich

Visit site
I was a little concerned that mine don't really get the volume needed to reap the benefits - so swapped them from Pure to Hi-fi Lite and TS Lite.

They loved the Pure so I think that's the way forward.

It's odd - when I was researching which to swap them too before, I found lots of great write ups about TS, but since then everything I've read has been quite poor.

Call the lovely folk at Pure and ask about feeding rates etc. I feed mine on the Fibre Balance as it's more concentrated and they only need a single small feed to get the proper rations of mins/vits, protexin, linseed etc. It's great for good doers who only need a small feed.

alexomahony

Visit site
Call the lovely folk at Pure and ask about feeding rates etc. I feed mine on the Fibre Balance as it's more concentrated and they only need a single small feed to get the proper rations of mins/vits, protexin, linseed etc. It's great for good doers who only need a small feed.

Thanks HeyMich :)

I'll get on the phone today.

xx

holeymoley

Visit site
The pure feeds have a lot of fillers in them from what i see. Bizarre that they’re called ‘pure’. Try Simple Systems if you want no added rubbish.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There is lots of anecdotal stuff about sensitive feet and Top Spec balancers by barefoot peeps.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The pure feeds have a lot of fillers in them from what i see. Bizarre that they’re called ‘pure’. Try Simple Systems if you want no added rubbish.
I'd beg to differ that the feed contains 'rubbish'. Also, as both my farrier and vet have (unprompted) given glowing opinions on how spot on mine are looking.
Each to their own, but can you try not to be too dismissive? Thanks:)

alexomahony

Visit site
Sadly the local feed store who stocked Pure now no longer do :(

I've decided to put them on of D&H safe and sound alongside Baileys No 14 (Lo cal) and see how we go with that.

alexomahony

Visit site
I order my Pure Feeds online. Where there's a will, there's a way... ? ?

Sadly I'd left it a bit late and needed it on saturday :'( I'm still interested in Pure fibre - If I get my ducks in a row I might actually be organised and order some in time for when I need need to purchase! :)

rextherobber

Visit site
I also swopped from Pure feeds as wanted the lowest sugar/starch I could get, and used Top Spec Lite as well. and I'm not impressed with it either, and the chaff, nuts and balancer I'm using cost a lot more then Pure Fibre does, and they neither look nor seem so well on the new regime - another one who will be going back to Pure!

holeymoley

Visit site
I'd beg to differ that the feed contains 'rubbish'. Also, as both my farrier and vet have (unprompted) given glowing opinions on how spot on mine are looking.
Each to their own, but can you try not to be too dismissive? Thanks:)

Absolutely, each to their own. I’m glad its worked for you. In comparison to top spec balancers, pure feeds balancer isn't overly different, the only thing they don’t add is molasses, NI straw, Cereals and Alfalfa which is a good start. However they do seem to add wheatfeed, oatfeed etc etc . If OP’s horse is requiring something to benefit the hooves, a brand of feed which is free from everything such as the above listed is the place to start.

It’s horses for courses. What works for one doesnt work for the other which is why we can all share our thoughts on the forum.

Last edited:

ponynutz

Visit site
Baileys Lo-Cal balancer is the way to go IMO. I find Happy Hoof and TopSpec just haven't done the job, but never used them myself.

Chianti

Visit site
I've used Top Spec balancers for years. First the Anti-lam for my old mare and now Top Spec Lite with my pony. The mare always had a gleaming coat and the pony looks great and has very good, unshod feet. I've always found their helpline to be very helpful without being pushy. I wish people wouldn't dismiss feed companies just because it's not what they choose to feed. If a certain make hasn't worked for you then that's your experience but a few comments on a facebook page doesn't mean a company should be dismissed out of hand.