Top tips for keeping a grey horse clean please.

Mrs B

Visit site
Actually, I have been using 'Seven Day Mud-away' for the last 2 winters, and I have to say I've been pretty impressed. Muck Monster has still been his usual self; head-planting as normal, but it does seem help the mud and muck lift off more easily without him being as stained.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Vanish on tail, not too near dock. Also couple, literally a couple, drops purple spray in a bucket of water. Both seem to help a little.

saddleupagain

Visit site
I haven't bought a horse I bought a hippo!!!
I dont mind 90% of the time I just ride out with an exercise sheet to cover his bum and back!! But we are going to start the winter dressage series and so he needs to be clean for those events!

Agree with this 100% :D
Don't worry too much about it or you'll go potty. Just wait for summer, they never look as dirty in the summer :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
At this time of year, I leave the horse grubby (just brush off all the mud). I will wash the tail for a winter event (not showing) but nothing else, way too cold. For the rest of the year, I simply wash the horse the night before the event and stable him to keep him clean (you can try putting on a full neck sheet and turning out afterwards but you'll still need to re-wash the legs, tail and face the next day). I use fairy liquid on the tail first, then just basic own brand Tesco or Asda shampoo on the body / mane etc.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I find it isn't so much the mud (as a good brush and some elbow grease can generally get that out no bother once it's dry) as the poo stains - which drive me barmy. Kal gets a good brush, top to toe once a day and poo stains are dealt with using cowboy magic and warm water. He is rugged if it's cold enough, but otherwise he's naked and I just deal with the stains. I wash his tail once a week (unless it's really, really cold) using washing up liquid and then a final go round with some sort of whitening shampoo.

If you really want a clean horse, stay on top of the stains . . . otherwise the yellow gets really hard to shift.

Good luck!

P

sjp1

Visit site
The one thing that I notice nobody has mentioned are the amazing grooming blocks which get grass stains and some poo stains out and if they stop working just scrape it once on the floor to get a clean edge and off you go again...they are a grey owners best friend!

Ooh, I have a grey - well sometimes he is, but not often! Have just ordered one of these and am waiting for it to come with lots of excitement - more now I have heard they actually work. How sad am I!

jnb

Visit site
I'm awaiting with bated breath, a Hot Horse Shower......will let you know how I get on ! (no, I don;t own the company, sadly! before anyone asks)