Top tips for keeping bum in saddle in canter?!

Sprat

Visit site
My Eureka was when someone told me to stop thinking of polishing the saddle with my bum and ride like a hand bouncing a tennis ball instead. When the ball (saddle) meets your hand (bum) then to absorb the movement of the ball, you hand rises on the top of it and the ball keeps rising a little way too. Then your hand controls the rise of the ball and pushes it back down again. Works for me, don't know if it will help.

I couldn't quite get my head around this when I first read it, but had a great 'Eureka' moment when riding the night before last and tried this. A fab little tip!!

Gazen

Visit site
Silly, question, but have you had your saddle checked? Is it tipping forward? Your saddle could be level but it may not fit you and tip you forward. Where you sit in the saddle can also influence whether you tip forwards. For me, if I sit further back in the saddle then I can fall forward but if I shimmy forward in the saddle so that my seat bones are at a different angle then I can 'sit' a lot better.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
can you sit to trot first and get really down into the saddle, remember to relax your back and then do the same in canter. if you have bad hips which need replacing you will struggle to open them....i really struggled but now after both hips being replaced i can sit in the saddle easily at all gaits, i used to feel perched on top rather than in the saddle because i could relax my hips as it was so painful...