Top tips to keep new car clean??

pippixox

Visit site
Do you know if they work okay with heated seats? I'm thoroughly enjoying my new luxury and don't want to sacrifice it for the sake of cleanliness!
I would send them an email to ask.
Sadly I don’t have heated seats! I have the non-quilted ones, so they are quite thin and assume heat would get through and also not damange them.

Andie02

Visit site
Can you recommend any waterproof covers?!
I bought what I thought were decent ones and in removing them to wash realises my seats are trashed.
I hope to be able to shampoo the worst out when the weather dries up but would like to invest in decent covers after.
We have some really good hard wearing waterproof seat covers in our van from a company called Topvan seat covers and some quilted waterproof car seat covers from their sister company called Over The Top car seat covers. They also do a standard car seat waterproof range which I believe are the same hard wearing quality as the van seat covers, you could contact them and ask, if they are I can recommend these, hairs will stick in the quilty ones, these are more practical for "clean" cars. They also do boot liners though we think that you cannot beat rubber mats and rubber boot liners purposely made for the make of car. However, when washing waterproof seat covers it is very important that they are washed at 30 degrees and only with a suitable detergent like Nikwax for horserugs or their equivalent for waterproof coats as otherwise you will definitely in time strip the waterproof backing. Air drying for waterproof items is also recommended. Personally I have found that better quality seat covers last much longer. Titan seat covers and Travel Smart boot liners also appear to be made at the same place.

Last edited:

Ben2684

Visit site
Thanks for all the tips, just wondering if my PayPal account will cope with ordering anything that doesn’t go on a horse! Haha

Time to invest in some decent seat covers, a boot liner and maybe even a rear seat cover. I also have an old pair of converse I was just going to chuck but will set these aside for ‘driving shoes’ :)

Also will aim for a trip to the hand car wash every pay day!

Sealine

Visit site
You need one of these...
https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/boot-liners?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_MvEwtqk4AIVirDtCh1Y3QQdEAAYASAAEgItAvD_BwE

OP, I have a boot liner, waterproof seat covers and keep a glass spray and cloth in the centre storage wotsit. I quickly clean windows or dashboard at traffic lights/roadworks. I rarely vacuum my car, but it comes up like new when I do. I also have plain heavy duty rubber mats. I just shake them out occasionally and pressure wash them in the summer.
Thanks for the link. My car isn’t listed but I’ve emailed them.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I'm following with interest as I'm trading in my trusty Kia Sorento for a new car at the weekend. I have a large hairy GSD as well as muddy horse gear and I'm already worrying about how to keep the car clean.

Can anyone recommend a boot liner that is durable and costs less than £100? I want something that will stop the dog hair from sticking to the fabric/carpet on the back of the seats and also covers the floor of the boot.

We buy these boot liners from Ebay - we’ve found the to be very good value, and you can just slide them out to give them a good clean or hose them. You just need to make sure that you buy the right liner for your model of car so that it fits snugly (obvious I know!).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES...773105?hash=item5418874cf1:g:ezQAAOSwk5FUuja0

scats

Visit site
I do an twice annual muck out of the Rav. It’s due now.
I see work people peering in through the windows when they park next to me in the staff car park... it’s like a tack shop and jumble sale on the back seat... several coats, a saddle rack, some girth’s, a bridle...

AandK

Visit site
Invest in a good quality boot liner, I have a boot buddy, a bit costly but worth it with two mud loving labs. Rubber floor mats are a must, as are good quality warterproof seat covers (front and rear!). My car has light grey seats and carpets (not at all practical!) but they are well covered by these items.

ETA, I have these ones, very good quality: https://www.premierproductsltd.co.u...orento-waterproof-seat-covers-fits-2003-2010/

Last edited:

vhf

Visit site
I have a sort of dog hammock in the back seat of mine. It's waterproof and protects the back of the front seats from dog, hay... would have been better to put seat covers under it as well, but hey ho! Not so practical if you want people in there regularly though.

gallopingby

Visit site
Seat covers and boot liners work well but the best is to make friends with a friendly valeting firm, they actually take pride in cleaning cars and the difference is truly amazing, our guys at our local one even seem to enjoy it! doing a makeover! The smaller non chains are great and prices are surprisingly reasonable especially if you take into account the time/money you save by not washing/vacuuming very often! Mine even do my lorry a couple of times a year, they have to find ladders long enough to reach, and apart from the comments about how it could be kept we get on fine! :D

Darbs

Visit site

chaps89

Visit site
I feel a house move coming on, Darbs where are you based ;)
My downfall is eating in my car - I'm pretty sure if I didn't eat Danish pastries etc in my car it would be a lot cleaner.
I have plastic sheets in the bottom of my boot then everything is organised, l-r:
- Big fabric bag which has over trousers, coat, woolly hat etc
- Plastic carrier bag which my wellies go into
- Stubbs saddlemate - and my hat/riding gloves/hi vis go in the container section of it
- Emergency kit box (tissues/torch/towel/leadrope/spare headlight bulb/warning triangle)
- Over the top of which sits my riding boots in a boot bag.
So there's no space in the boot for putting anything else, but that's what back seats are for ;)