Topped paddock

Loula83

New User
Visit site
Hi! I had my paddocks topped 11 days ago, when is safe for my pony to go bk on there to graze? the cuttings currently look like hay, they had dried out, had a few dry days and a few wet ones ?
Tia x

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I've always just put mine back on whenever I want after topping, never considered there is any danger. What would be the concern? Wet hay laying about the field is not that unusual in winter, so I'm not sure the difference with some piles of cuttings. Unless there was ragwort or anything in the field before it was topped of course.

Loula83

New User
Visit site
I've always just put mine back on whenever I want after topping, never considered there is any danger. What would be the concern? Wet hay laying about the field is not that unusual in winter, so I'm not sure the difference with some piles of cuttings. Unless there was ragwort or anything in the field before it was topped of course.
I was always under the impression it hadn’t to be certain amount of time, due to mould spores. I agree with you tbh, it’s literally IKEA hay that’s got wet sitting on top of some of the W grass now. No ragwort as I pulled it all a while bk xx

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
If your grass cuttings are dry that’s fine...if underneath is wet or damp and yellowing it is fermenting then the horses shouldn’t be eating it for fear of colic.

teddypops

Visit site
My fields get topped with my ponies in them. However lots of people say topped when they mean mowed. When my fields are topped, it’s the rough grass and weeds that the ponies don’t eat anyway that are cut down.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Your only worry would be if the grass had been quite long so in significant heaps. Had this on our rented field once, topped too vigorously by the owner who didn't realise his topper was set too low. We had to go around scattering the thick bits as they were heating.

irishdraft

Visit site
I always rake all the grass/ weeds up it goes rotten underneath if it's a few dry bits shouldn't be a problem

honetpot

Visit site
Topping usually stimulate fresh growth, and they want to eat this rather than scraps of dried grass. I leave them on it unless its really long and thick, but in a couple of days they will leave the wilted stuff in favour of the fresh.