TopSpec - sending horses a bit loopy

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I’m not sure where you heard that top spec does not contain many vitamins or minerals from as it’s quite the opposite in recommended feeding quantities it actually contains a wider range and in greater quantities than most other balancers .

I can only see 2 Topspec ‘feeds’ on that link, one is a powder version and the vit/mineral levels in that actually look okay but still, not as good as several other brands.

I personally wouldn’t buy from a company that doesn’t bother to list the full composition on its website, for example The Comprehensive balancer, just the basic information no details on vitamins and minerals.

lannerch

Visit site
I can only see 2 Topspec ‘feeds’ on that link, one is a powder version and the vit/mineral levels in that actually look okay but still, not as good as several other brands.

I personally wouldn’t buy from a company that doesn’t bother to list the full composition on its website, for example The Comprehensive balancer, just the basic information no details on vitamins and minerals.
I currently don’t feed top spec either the comprehensive balancer is also there, and just because it doesn’t state the vitamins and minerals on its website doesn’t mean they are not there and is freely available on request. But because of this post I am thinking of it as my horse always goes better fresh.
We also need to bear in mind that balancers are not complete diets just top ups to the current diet so certainly do not need to contain daily amounts of everything.
Top spec also fares one if the best on dr marlins recent balancer comparison chart on the animalweb site along with his science supplements one but I cannot post that one as it’s against group rules.

Last edited:

Ratface

Visit site
Old Horse and his herd mates - all purebred Crabbet Arabians - have been fed TopSpec Anti-Lam for years with no adverse effects. The rest of their hard feed is very basic - mainly grass nuts, grass chop and carrots. Plus ad lib home grown hay and snacking on straw.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I currently don’t feed top spec either the comprehensive balancer is also there, and just because it doesn’t state the vitamins and minerals on its website doesn’t mean they are not there and is freely available on request
But why not list it? If I was looking for a balancer I would go to the website first and put together a sheet to compare. Having to email each company and wait for a reply is annoying so I would probably just move on to the next.

Plus from Top Spec's pov, it would be less work to openly list than having to personally reply to each person who asks.

And while I'm on the subject a request to feed companies. Please list in terms of amount of element per daily dose. If it's listed as amount per kg, need to work out how much per scoop and sometimes it's listed as the compound so you need to adjust for the amount of active ingredient in that form.

SEL

Visit site
Has anyone had any 'heating' experiences with 'TS Top Chop Zero' ?
No - I used it for years to bulk out the feed bowl of a fatty until the price went up.

My lot are all on the topchop grass chaff without issue mixed with soaked hay cobs from simple systems (quantities vary depending on waistlines and workload). Easy to hide powders in.

Bailey's balancers never caused me any issues.

Asha

Visit site
Weve started ours on a bit of dodson and horell safe and sound, they all love it. Then i ran out, and the feed store didnt have any in, so chose Dengie hooves instead as the assistant said it was very similar. I took her word for it like a plonker. Dear lord.. they are lost their tiny minds. I put it down to the grass coming through. I took them off it after one mare was prancing around like rudolph the red nose reindeer . Hey presto back to normal. Ive just checked and it has alfalfa in it.
So yes, it could well be the feed

Stenners

Visit site
Has anyone fed Mollichaff Calmer? I've read it helps the nervous or anxious horse but no idea if that's actually the case? Also looking at Mollichaff Light as that doesn't seem to contain alfalfa.

Peglo

Visit site
Weve started ours on a bit of dodson and horell safe and sound, they all love it. Then i ran out, and the feed store didnt have any in, so chose Dengie hooves instead as the assistant said it was very similar. I took her word for it like a plonker. Dear lord.. they are lost their tiny minds. I put it down to the grass coming through. I took them off it after one mare was prancing around like rudolph the red nose reindeer . Hey presto back to normal. Ive just checked and it has alfalfa in it.
So yes, it could well be the feed

That’s interesting. Safe and sound contains soya hulls and molasses so I would’ve thought it might’ve sent them loopy too. We sell tons of dengie chaffs and healthy hooves is a favourite. I’ve never had adverse affects with alfalfa with mine though. Maybe it’s our grazing up here compliments it.

Peglo

Visit site
Has anyone fed Mollichaff Calmer? I've read it helps the nervous or anxious horse but no idea if that's actually the case? Also looking at Mollichaff Light as that doesn't seem to contain alfalfa.

Never used mollichaff but if I was to change chaffs I think I would switch to one of theirs. I think most of theirs is free from alfalfa, molasses and soya.
** I actually meant honey chop chaffs, not mollichaff.

ETA that’s not strictly true. I’ve used their oat straw before. Sorry 😂

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Never used mollichaff but if I was to change chaffs I think I would switch to one of theirs. I think most of theirs is free from alfalfa, molasses and soya.

ETA that’s not strictly true. I’ve used their oat straw before. Sorry 😂
They contain molaases and soya oil.

I wouldn't personally feed something like mollichaff calmer as i prefer not to feed a complete feed as the amount i feed over the year can vary so i would be underfeeding or overfeeding minerals and vitamins at different times.

Also the grazing and hay round her is so unbalanced, a broad spectrum wouldn't work for me.

Peglo

Visit site
They contain molaases and soya oil.

I wouldn't personally feed something like mollichaff calmer as i prefer not to feed a complete feed as the amount i feed over the year can vary so i would be underfeeding or overfeeding minerals and vitamins at different times.

Also the grazing and hay round her is so unbalanced, a broad spectrum wouldn't work for me.
Sorry you’re right. I was meaning honeychop chaffs. Will edit my post

spotty_pony2

Visit site

yes, mine used to have it as part of his feed when he was hunting fit. I don’t think it had any affect but it smells lovely.

Floxie

Visit site
I started mine on Top Spec comprehensive following a weigh-bridge consultation with a rep (thought "why not?") and it's been the only hard feed I've managed to get him to eat all year round - usually loses interest when turned out in the summer.

But he is naturally stressy and spooky - I couldn't say for sure if it makes it worse or not! But on the off-chance - can anyone suggest any feeds equally as palatable? I've never been able to feed a balancer year round before top spec!