Torn meniscus in knee - how long until you were able to ride?

Polos

Visit site
Had a bit of an incident last night. Was sitting on my sofa and managed to tear the meniscus in my left knee. I have no idea how!

Ive had a run of bad luck with my knees in the past 2 years (dislocated my right one twice and now done this to me left knee)
I can safely say that I am finding this a lot more painful than when Ive dislocated my knee :(

I am currently home from uni for Easter so I'm a bit worried about what I'll do when I get back but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

What I am mainly concerned about right now is how long is it going to be until I can ride again :( It was 8 weeks the last time I dislocated my knee as I trapped a nerve but did get on a little earlier than the consultant said for a plod in the school as I was going stir crazy.

I have an appointment at the fracture clinic on tuesday so I will ask properly then but I was just wondering if anyone had ever torn their meniscus and how long was it until you were able to ride (even just for a walking hack!)

Morgan123

Visit site
I did that, think I got back on without stirrups within a week or two, but getting on and off was treacherous and painful and presumably a medic would tell you not to get on that quickly! Managed though.
Hope you get better soon, I seem to remember it was very painful!

Polos

Visit site
I did that, think I got back on without stirrups within a week or two, but getting on and off was treacherous and painful and presumably a medic would tell you not to get on that quickly! Managed though.
Hope you get better soon, I seem to remember it was very painful!

Getting on and off I have managed before when I've dislocated my knee and got on early (Used a feedbucket, then a bale of shavings before eventually climbing on a feed bin) so while it takes about 10 minutes I think i'd be able to do it, as for riding I might be able to see if I can get a friend to put me on the lunge for the first couple of days just in case.

I'll ask the consultant properly on Tuesday but it's good to know it is doable. I think they must hate me as I'm there every few months because I've broken myself and the first question I ask is when can I ride haha