Torn Meniscus

sasquatch

Visit site
So, not a horse injury, but a human injury!

I've torn my meniscus in my left knee, although I can walk on it exercise isn't easy and it gets very sore and stiff.
It's been like this for over a year, and I never got it looked at. I used to ride ok with it (although would have to take my feet out of stirrups to let it stretch out occasionally) but recently aggravated it which is why it's now been looked at.

I have to get an MRI to see how bad the damage is still, and after that surgery in 3-6 months hopefully.

B is back into work, I have 2 sharers that are down with him 4/5 days a week and ride him then, and I have him 3 days a week in the hope of riding again :(
I haven't ridden much in over a year due to illness.

Doctor hasn't said no riding atm, but not to do anything that will aggravate it. I have ridden since it has flared up a handful of times, and it didn't seem to do aggravate it as long as I didn't ride jumping length/short. The knee is stable, but there's definitely a tear. The knee doesn't lock so I've been told it's not 'bad' and some days I can walk and move around completely pain free. It's not sitting down or standing or walking, but going between sitting to standing, walking to sitting etc that seems to hurt.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to exercise B and also any tack/ways of riding that may help me for the time being?

I'm using my GP saddle over my jumping saddle as it's easier to ride longer in, and doesn't have the same high kneerolls at current.

Annagain

Visit site
What sort of stirrups do you have? Would Sprengers (or cheaper alternative flexi stirrups) help? I also remember a few years ago reading about some really ugly but apparently very comfortable stirrups that were big enough for your whole foot. Haven't seen / heard any mention of them for a while though so don't know if they're still out there.

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
Feel free to pm if you like, I had the same injury, same knee and had surgery for it last September and am still recovering now. So am happy to help if I can

sasquatch

Visit site
What sort of stirrups do you have? Would Sprengers (or cheaper alternative flexi stirrups) help? I also remember a few years ago reading about some really ugly but apparently very comfortable stirrups that were big enough for your whole foot. Haven't seen / heard any mention of them for a while though so don't know if they're still out there.

I have cheap versions of sprengers without the twists, which is partly why I think I've been able to keep riding!

thank you Dancing_Diva! I will send you a pm after I've got the horse sorted tonight or I may never leave the house hehe.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have a torn medial meniscus which I did about 4 months ago, am currently having physio while on the waiting list for an op.

My consultant gave me the OK to ride but take it easy. No jumping and limited rising trot and no falling off! Am also using the mounting block to dismount. No swatting, bending the knee completely.

One of the reasons I am continuing to ride is the muscles I use for light riding are the same ones that exercises the physio gave me use.

Spoken to a couple of people who have been operated on and had very positive stories about their cases however I also damaged my ACL at the same time which complicates my case.

ETA the level of pain is not necessarily an indicator. I had problems getting a diagnosis because the urgent care centre I went to when I first did it, told me it was only a mild strain as it didn't hurt enough for more. When I went back as I felt it wasn't healing as quickly as I hoped/they'd suggested they said there was not much wrong. However they organised a GP appointment for me and she organised an MRI. They were so concerned about what they saw (as well as the ACL and medial meniscus there was a impact fracture to the tibia that actually sounds a big deal but isn't) they faxed over the scan immediately and she was on the phone organising a referral to UCLH as soon as possible.

Last edited:

pearlygirl

Visit site
I'm 4 weeks on from surgery for a meniscal tear on both sides of my right knee and a damaged acl.

I rode occasionally between the original injury and the operation. It was painful so limited how much I could do, a gentle walking hack was about all i could manage in the end. I actually bought a higher mounting block so I didn't put any pressure on the knee getting on or off which did help. I also have Sprenger stirrups and I think it would have been more sore without them.

I'm already feeling better since the op and the physio thinks I'll be ok to start riding again in a couple more weeks.

I can't offer much advice that hasn't been already given but I can certainly sympathise for your situation!

Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I tore my left meniscus when I was 16, I'm 30 now, mime used to lock and swell. I chose physio over surgery as then there was a good chance it would have been made worse. Also the surgeon told me that he only liked to operate as a last resort as it doesn't have a good blood supply.

It hasn't completely healed, it still.locks and swells every now and again. I try not to ride too short when it's sore. I.have a good knee support that helps keep it stable when riding when I need to use it.