Torsion Close Contact treeless saddle

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I used to have a Torsion, not sure what model. It was comfy but dumped me on the floor a time or two when it spun round on my quite round pony as I was leaning over to open a gate.

RLS

Visit site
same experience as Gloi - very comfy saddle to sit in, but constantly slipped. sold it again after a few months

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I have one, borrowed from a friend right now, and am riding it on my chubby coblet (profile pic). It is one of the older versions.

I am using a neoprene girth with it and find that it is very stable with that combination; even doing reasonably fast work it hasn't slipped at all.

I have tried other treeless saddles on this pony namely Barefoot Cherokee (put me ridiculously wide on her and just wasn't a good fit) also with this saddle the knee rolls were not helpful, but the Torsion seems to sit well on her and she goes well in it. I find I can comfortably ride in it for a couple of hours without problems.

I find the Torsion "works" for me and my pony and am currently looking for a used one on e-bay for us both so that friend can have her saddle back!

Marigold4

Visit site
I am riding my difficult-to-fit young horse in a Torsion with a pad - not sure which model. It's the only saddle he is happy in. I use a professional choice girth and the saddle is pretty stable.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have a TreeFree saddle, which seems like a similar idea to a Torsion. Only had it a couple months, but so far so good. Maybe another option? I find it very stable. The pony can have a sharp 180, but the saddle doesn't budge. I've sat in it for up to three hours and did not hate my life. And unlike other treeless ones I've tried, it does not feel like there is a ton of matierial between you and the horse. It's nice and close contact. The company were also lovely to work with and let me dither over their saddle v. a Ghost saddle, then borrow their trial saddle for the two or so weeks it took them to make mine.

maya2008

Visit site
I have never had a close contact version, but I have used Torsion saddles on a wide variety of horses/ponies for nearly 20 years without ever having a problem. I wouldn’t put a small child in one as they don’t go small enough, and I wouldn’t jump any decent height in them as the stirrup bars are set back too far. From the horse’s comfort pov though - all good. I am still using the first Torsion I ever bought, on a new horse…the horse it was bought for used it from 5yo to retirement! Oh and as a bonus - I have never had a saddle sore from riding long distance in one, ever. Comfiest things on Earth!!!

SCG

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I have bought a secondhand one and will see how I get on. Really hoping this will be comfy for my mare and improve her way of going, also comfy for me .. am so fed up with hard, uncomfy saddles! Comfies things on Earth sounds very promising!!!