TOTILAS SOLD FOR $10MILLION?

moogrrr

Visit site
No i haven't, but wow if that is true. That is big big news!
shocked.gif

Helbert

Visit site
Random, but associated question...
How much is the most a horse has ever been sold for? Does anyone know? And I am assuming it was a Racehorse...?

Jules19

Visit site
He was named The Green Monkey, ran three times in poor company, placed once and now stands as a stallion in the US. I would have to say that as soon as they named him it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be a superstar!
grin.gif

Squeak

Visit site
I have heard that he was sold for 12 mill to austria and the source should be fairly reliable, although really hope not as don't imagine he would be going to olympia.

cariad

Visit site
Bit off topic, but do you know, as per comment in earlier post, isn't it funny how so often horses with what might be perceived as poor or odd names don't make it? You know the old saying "Give a dog a bad name and you might as well hang it". That works on two levels - once rumour gets around that your dog is a bad 'un it's always going to be in trouble or if you literally give it a "bad" name , it's never going to be any good. Hence often calling your dogs the same after good dogs you've had.

Same for horses, except I don't know why some names work and some don't. Red Rum, Arkle, Denman, Kauto Star, Desert Orchid, Sea The Stars- why do they work? Benny The Dip won the Derby but was never heard of again whereas Silver Patriarch who came second to him was a lovely sire. Dubai Millenium. Didn't work. I'm sure it's not only racehorses - I could probably think of some examples if I wasn't on my way to beddy-byes. What do you think? This may have been better in NL2, but there you go.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Dubai Millenium. Didn't work. I'm sure it's not only racehorses - I could probably think of some examples if I wasn't on my way to beddy-byes. What do you think? This may have been better in NL2, but there you go.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dubai Millenium died though, after one season at stud (I think) Didn't get much of a chance to prove himself.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dubai Millenium. Didn't work. I'm sure it's not only racehorses - I could probably think of some examples if I wasn't on my way to beddy-byes. What do you think? This may have been better in NL2, but there you go.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dubai Millenium died though, after one season at stud (I think) Didn't get much of a chance to prove himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly he died of Grass Sickness. He was such a lovely horse.

Caledonia

Visit site
Benny the Dip died young too.
Snaafi Dancer was the most expensive yearling bought in the Sangster/Maktoum bidding wars.
It couldn't beat a fat man running downhill, and was infertile at stud.
Ouch!

christinao

Visit site
i dont think you can really compare racing stallions as their sale price reflects their income from stud fees. Before the Green Monkey, the most expensive was a horse that ended up being called Snafi Dancer. Didnt even get on a racecourse, then was retired to stud wher he proved infertile....
as for Tortillas, this rumour is not news, it has been going round for a while but it will never be confirmed til the horse passes the vet and the money changes hands. And I read it was an american doing the buying.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Can you change TBs names here? Once a horse is registered with the Jockey Club in North America, that's it. You can give it a "show name" but you can't change its registered name.

Edited to say I just read up . . . he was called Yazaar before he went into training, which is when they would have to declare him as something other than "unnamed". If this was a curse though, most race horses would be doomed (hmm . . .
wink.gif
) as they all have names that predate their racing names, sometimes which stick with them as stable names.

As far as him not working out, he did produce a Gr I winner in his only crop - more than most do.
smile.gif

oldvic

Visit site
A TBs name can only be changed before it has been entered and, of course, it costs. They don't have to be named until before they are entered so they can be bought and named by an owner when nearly ready to run which a lot of owners like especially if they are commercial.

levantosh

www.levantosportshorses.co.uk
His name was Dubai 2000 then changed and he sired 56 foals in his only season but he sired horses at top level racing and his son Dubawi is doing very well as a sire himself. The expensive horse that sheikh mohammed bought that never raced was trained by John Dunlop.
How much do you all think Sea the Stars is worth then! Reportedly over £80mill!

S_N

Visit site
Well if you're going to talk TB's then how about Seattle Slew, who once stood for a fee of $800,000!! Or Storm Cat, who was insured by FOUR different companies for a reported 3/4 billion dollars....