Touchy ears

Happy Ponies

Visit site
all of a sudden my loan horse has decided that ear washing is very scary. All of the years I have known him he has allowed you to use a damp sponge around his ears perfectly fine. In the past few months (if not weeks, I've lost track!) he has been increasingly frightful about me washing off behind his ears. He's not head shy and has always been fine. I never use a dripping sponge, it's always just damp.

Any ideas about why he may be frightful all of a sudden over behind his ears being washed and sometimes even touched? Also does anyone know any ways that I could help him overcome his irrational fear as I've never noticed it before, I thought it might be being tired up but even uncliped from the lead rope or completely untied he's freaking out.

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mine gets incredibly head shy this time of year. - due to the midges getting her ears. I know use a cream by equimins which stop them getting in & biting & she is much happier. Highly recommended the cream.

Whoopit

Visit site
Mine has midge bites in his ears from a very bad spell of bugs not long after I'd got him. He went madly headshy very quickly. He now has white plaques in his ears permanently. So long as I don't bother his ears, he's ok - I mean I can touch them and pull them but I never bother the insides as I'm told it makes it worse.