Touzaint good winner?

Daisychain

Visit site
Yes i agree, at the end of the day he won, fair and square, and both rider and horse came home safe and sound, what more can you ask for.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I thought it was brilliant!
To start with I was wishing he'd have 2 fences down so that Lucy would win, but his reaction as he came over the last fence totally endeared him to me, so much so I had tears in my eyes too. Yes his round wasn't the 'prettiest' bit of riding I've ever seen but he left the fences up and that's what matters.

Good for him I say
smile.gif

amabelscott

www.buccleuchgundogs.com
obviosuly i would have liked a british rider to win, but i would definitely have cried if i had just won Badminton! i thought he was a good rider and especially rode well in the SJ with just the one down

nitro_nimph

Visit site
i thought it was a brilliantly ridden round, and was actually a little watery eyed myself at the end! His reaction of dropping the reins was definitely ott, but given his emotional state thats hardly surprising, the man just won Badminton after all!!
have to say i did laugh when, as he was crying on the bonnet of the ambulance the driver was taking photos!!! lol

gerrygiraffe

Visit site
3 disciplines make up Badminton not just SJ and I thought that he deserved to win and nice to see someone show pure emotion. NT might not have been the most stylish but it isn't an equitation class!
I have seen worse things than rein dropping he was clearly caught in the moment.

siennamiller

Visit site
sorry but agree with the sour grapes comment. As I watched him gallop round after winning I could just imagine the scathing HHO comments. The horse was loving it, he was beautifully balanced despite no contact and really enjoying himself. When NT finally pulled up he had to take a proper pull to get the horse to stop. Personally I thought that demonstrated what a fantastic job he had done in schooling and fittening the horse that he could do that at the end of Badminton. As for crying, I thought it was funny but good for him fo showing the emotion!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Everyone who could ride his horse round Badminton 3 -day and win please take a step forward.

Otherwise please allow him to drop his reins and gallop round in celebration of what must have been a massive coup to pull off. Don't forget, he speaks little or no English so everything will have been very alien to him and FGS he's JUST WON!

Yes, Lucy rode superbly and deserved to win, Mary had rotten luck and there's selection for the Olympics, but please don't detract from what he did today.

And stop mocking him for his tears. Time we loosened up a bit as God forbid we might show some emotion after all that pressure!
smile.gif

pelly

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who could ride his horse round Badminton 3 -day and win please take a step forward.

Otherwise please allow him to drop his reins and gallop round in celebration of what must have been a massive coup to pull off. Don't forget, he speaks little or no English so everything will have been very alien to him and FGS he's JUST WON!

Yes, Lucy rode superbly and deserved to win, Mary had rotten luck and there's selection for the Olympics, but please don't detract from what he did today.

And stop mocking him for his tears. Time we loosened up a bit as God forbid we might show some emotion after all that pressure!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with you 100%.

twoshoes

Visit site
hmmmmm, not sure how all of you critics have got time to post on here, I would have thought that you'd all be busy looking after your horses after sucessfully completing Badminton. Or maybe not.

jenbleep

Visit site
I nearly cried for him!! I always get emotional at Badders for some reason!

I would have liked to see Lucy win (she's a Brit after all!) but I think he deserved it and he rode very well
smile.gif
smile.gif

FoxyPants

New User
Visit site
I hate the rein dropping too. Wasn't it him that did it a few years ago after the xc too ? what a dreadful thing to do to a horse at the end of a round, xc or sj. The horse deserves consideration - and what will that do to tired limbs ? he needs a good slap I'm afraid. I wanted a brit to win, would have been great to see Lucy win or Fox-Pitt. Such a shame about Mary too. I love Tamarillo so would love that cheeky chappy to have shown em all. Sorry Nicolas - you may have been over the moon but don't forget who got your there.....the poor creature you just dumped onto it's forehand whilst you whooped and hoolied about. Bit of shame he didn't dump you there and then!.

madgirl

Visit site
IMO he was fab....that horse is not an easy show jumper and the course was tough. His horses would not perform for him if he they didn't enjoy being ridden by him. And if the horse had hated the galloping round he coul have definitely dumped him. IMO not the most stilish round but SO effective!

HammieHamlet

Visit site
I really admire the results that he gets - maybe he is not as stylish as some of the other big names, but there is just something about him that makes him stand out - maybe its his mental attitude and determination shining through?

I must admit that I had a few tears in my eyes when he won - it was lovely to see it mean so much to him....us english people are far too reserved with our emotions IMO
smirk.gif

As for dropping the reins...well, that horse certainly didnt look upset by it and as he was galloping round like that, I couldnt help but think what a great trust he had in the horse and vice versa.... The atmosphere must have been electric, and if I had won badminton (make believe land!!
grin.gif
) I probably would have reacted in a similar way.

No one's perfect, and everyone has different ideas about horses, but at the end of the day, he's just won one of the biggest international eventing competitions, and who the hell are we to criticise!

gloster_image

Visit site
Well all i can do is disgree completely. There are PLENTY of badminton winners who dont drop the contact AND considering the injury HE gave his previous mount due to doing the EXACT same thing i would say its not sour grapes - i actually like his riding in competition and also think hes fit and would marry the guy - but i do not and will not ever agree with galloping his horse round madly with no contact after SJ.
I did like it when he cried its nice to see emotion

jenbleep

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
absolutely, vic. glad i'm not the only one who sees it like that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally unnecessary performance, I only hope the horse is ok.
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just won Badminton! I was sat in line with the last jump and saw him "drop" the reins. His horse was balanced - if he dropped the reins and his horse tripped - well, for a start he wouldn't have won Badminton would he???????????????? But his horse was fine and loved it. SO what if he didn't sit up?? Would you be thinking "Hows my position??"

I have just viewed the photos that I took today - I can say that yes, he did loosen the reins but he had a contact with them and did not gallop on the buckle!
smirk.gif
He had long reins, but had a contact (I saw!!) I'll post the pics tomorrow!

At the the end of the day, he won Badminton!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Does anyone here know what they would do if they won Badminton?????? He is a talented horseman and I can't believe people are criticising him for having a good gallop. I don't think he was particularly reckless - he was running on adrenaline and I can say that he did not gallop on the buckle!!! As I said if his horse couldn't cope with that he would have fell AOS!!

Is it because he is French
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I have yet to see anyone else do the rein dropping. That is what annoys me.
And I will happily critique all I want, yes, he won, I felt the horse helped him out a lot on the xc, and he looked a bit of a passenger sj, dressage was v. good and I appreciate it is a different style as he is french, and tears, thats a personal thing for him.
Dropping your reins and galloping round the arena several times is something that NO rider with respect for a horse who has taken you round a 4* should do IMO and I think I have every right to hold that opinion. If he didn't have that awful habit for doing that, then I would not mind french had won (I'm totally not bothered by which nationality wins tbh-unless its irish
laugh.gif
)

Daisychain

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree! I very much doubt anyone on this forum could have ridden the horse better than him, and the horse did not fall on its forehand, thats just total c**p IMH.

Flame_

Visit site
To anyone who's said "stop criticising" I just wanted to say, I did ask people why they weren't keen on him. So thanks to them for explaining - some fair points, especially the rein dropping if it has possibly caused one of his horses injury in the past. It's not changed my opinion of him yet though, I still just say well done to the bloke - A good winner.

mickey

Visit site
As an aside: Has anyone ever seen any other top event riders gallop around the arena after winning Badminton or a similarly prestigious event?????? I bet he is not alone in this!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
shocked.gif

(I am not talking about rein dropping BTW, that has been done to death).
I am amazed at how critical people can be on here. Give the guy a break!!
crazy.gif

AnnaandStella

Visit site
He just looked so unstylish & moved around SO much - he looked like luck was on his side...

only problem is, I don't believe in luck but it seemed so unfair the way Mary King's brilliant XC style didn't seem to help her at all...