Tow bar grease - silly question

Kezzabell2

Visit site
When I took my trailer for a replacement ramp the guy put some grease on my tow bar for me and told me that I should make sure I keep it greased up.

The only problem is, I get a new car every 6 months, so I need to get some grease of my own to make sure I can do each car. Now my silly question is where do I get it from? Is there a specific type or tow bars? advice would be much appreciated

phizz4

Visit site
Normal multipurpose grease from Halfords will do, it doesn't need to be high melting point or anything like that. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/grease/comma-multi-purpose-grease-500g
You need to put grease on a tow hitch towing a trailer otherwise the metal surfaces will wear. However, those people who tow a caravan with an Alko hitch need to remove the grease because the hitch needs to grip the tow ball as part of the anti snaking system, that's probably why the mechanic mentioned it. Trailers don't, as far as I know, have anti snaking devices.

Bob notacob

Visit site
The problem with grease is that it holds grit particles . Grease with grit particles is called grinding paste and will rapidly wear out metal components . Whilst the theory is good , unless you religeously replace the ball cover after use and clean off and replace the grease in both ball and hitch , you are better off not bothering. Just monitor the wear.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Any multi purpose grease is suitable for a tow bar. As for grit getting into the grease & causing wear, I seriously doubt that anyone you will achieve the age when your tow ball will have been worn away by the friction. The wearing out is pure nonsense!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I’ve never bothered in almost 15 years of towing. Neither ball nor hitch have worn out and I’ve had the same veh’s for all that time. I’ve serviced the trailer annually and my service guy has never mentioned greasing me balls.