Tow car for full up 3500kg trailer

Frumpoon

Visit site
Is rog about?

Wondered what cars are recommended to pull a full 3500 trailer, my Pajero is just not heavy enough so need something beefier. Was thinking landcruiser amazon, but would the Colorado do it?

Jonesy

Visit site
Discovery, jeep grand Cherokee - pre new shape 2004/2005 as they def had 3500kg as I used to tow with a V reg one. Isuzu, fourtrak - small but heavy. Really depends on age of 4x4 you want, it seems as the 4x4 have been modernised the tow capacity had reduced on most. :)

Eta - shoguns too.

Renvers

Visit site
Discovery, jeep grand Cherokee - pre new shape 2004/2005 as they def had 3500kg as I used to tow with a V reg one. Isuzu, fourtrak - small but heavy. Really depends on age of 4x4 you want, it seems as the 4x4 have been modernised the tow capacity had reduced on most. :)

Eta - shoguns too.
Cherokee thirsty but found it has lots of torque for towing and very good interior spec for driver comfort.

ROG

Visit site
Is rog about?

Wondered what cars are recommended to pull a full 3500 trailer, my Pajero is just not heavy enough so need something beefier. Was thinking landcruiser amazon, but would the Colorado do it?
You must be the first driver I know of who actually loads a 3500 trailer to its max !

How often do you do that?

Frumpoon

Visit site
Well I've not done it yet, bought the trailer a week ago, got it home with the Pajero but I'm almost 100% sure it's not heavy enough....I used to have an isuzu 3.1 but even these are only up to 3300kg...

I guess once I get the motor sorted and the trailers been serviced I'll take it out most weekends

Frumpoon

Visit site
Thank you everyone, much appreciated...thing is, I don't think any of those suggested so far are any heavier or more powerful than my 2.8 LWB Pajero so maybe I'm ok staying with that????

Frumpoon

Visit site
Haha yes possibly, need to get unladen weight confirmed after Xmas but the chassis plate says max 3500 and it's a massive great 3 axle pegasus so I'm assuming with horse 3500 will be what I'll be towing...

Clear as mud??

Frumpoon

Visit site
Yup mine manages an ifor and my biggest horse is about 700kg so it does that nice and easy but I want to be doubly certain of keeping trailer secure etc

ROG

Visit site
Haha yes possibly, need to get unladen weight confirmed after Xmas but the chassis plate says max 3500 and it's a massive great 3 axle pegasus so I'm assuming with horse 3500 will be what I'll be towing...

Clear as mud??
I think you are either confused or misinformed

A 3500 MAM trailer with one horse in it is likely to weigh around 2000 kgs

If you are not likely to load it with more than one horse then you can get a vehicle with a 2500 towing capacity leaving 500 spare

Polos Mum

Visit site
My two big boys weighed just under 700 each (17hh and 17.1 irish types) so 1400kg for them, the Ifor 510 trailer is 1000kg, = 2400 in total.
I'd be surprised if the pegasus is twice the weight of an ifor 510 - worth taking it to a weighbridge before you swap your car.
Our landcruser colorado tows the above like it is not there!

Frumpoon

Visit site
I think you are either confused or misinformed

A 3500 MAM trailer with one horse in it is likely to weigh around 2000 kgs

If you are not likely to load it with more than one horse then you can get a vehicle with a 2500 towing capacity leaving 500 spare

Thanks a million Rog, I'm hoping I'm confused...the plate on the nose thing is in German and there are two numbers, one is 2700 and one is 3500, my rudimentary German doesn't help so I've been working on basis that 2700 is unladen weight to be sure

ROG

Visit site
Thanks a million Rog, I'm hoping I'm confused...the plate on the nose thing is in German and there are two numbers, one is 2700 and one is 3500, my rudimentary German doesn't help so I've been working on basis that 2700 is unladen weight to be sure
2700 is deffo not the unladen weight - more likely to be around 1200 but a trip empty to weighbridge will sort that for certain

A vehicle with a 2000 towing capacity will be ok if only loading with one horse

Frumpoon

Visit site
It's that size but not that one...it has a living in the front where the other 2 horses would be in that model...that's why I think 2700 might not be far off the mark, it's as big as an equitrek 3 horse

Frumpoon

Visit site
Really hop you are right...thank you so much for your help Mr R!!!! Will update when I know unladen weight on toll bridge, thank again, much appreciated xxxxxx

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Wouldn't have a pick up type through choice myself as they are very light in the backend. I tow a 3500kg rated trailer with a defender and have also used a RR Sport. Which was nice :D

Mine is a stock trailer tho so a lot heavier than a horse trailer normally speaking.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Apologies for resurrecting this but finally had trailer weighed...2410kg unladen...so with my horse we are looking at about 3ton. Now what kind of vehicle can safely tow that, I'm thinking landcruiser amazon but very £££££, isuzu troopers I believe are up to about 3300kg and more affordable but hard for the everyday commute. Suggestions people??