Tow car recommendations for the low(er) budget

gemisastar

Visit site
I'll be looking to upgrade my tow car in the next few months, I'm not sure mine will go through its next MOT without needing major work. I'm hoping to have a budget of 5k absolute maximum, although if something decent can be found for less than this that would be better for me. So I'll be looking for something older (but not totally ancient), but reliable, must have 4x4 and must be able to tow 3.5 tonnes, and not be any less economical than my current 2.7 litre Rexton.

Prefer an auto box as it makes life so much easier. I don't want something that will be in the garage very regularly, regular maintenance costs aside!

Not too keen on discoveries as heard they can be very unreliable, and I wouldn't be averse to a pickup truck! Any suggestions gratefully received ?

gemisastar

Visit site
I prefer the reassurance that a 3.5t limit gives, we have some fairly steep hills here and I never want to struggle, I sometimes have 2 big horses on the back. I did my towing test a couple of years ago so that's not an issue.

EventingMum

Visit site
Try some commercial dealerships for a pick up. Ford Rangers are cheaper to service than a lot of other makes. For example my son is on his 4th Ranger, he does a big mileage but they are always up to date with servicing and have everything needed done to them, he trades in every 4 years or so and something like that would be a great buy with a big towing capacity.

[59668]

Visit site
I have an Isuzu Dmax, and it's a great towing vehicle. And the back is super handy for buckets/haynets etc.
I am the same, and want the reassurance of 3.5 tonne pulling power, as when I pull 2 I never want to feel like I am near the limit or straining the vehicle.
If you take a look you will find older ones for a good price. They are really reliable.

gemisastar

Visit site
How did you find the Rexton OP?
It's been great - had a couple of niggles with the 4x4 not working properly which I had fixed, apart from that it's been really reliable. It doesn't perform as well as my friends disco which for example towed my trailer out of a muddy patch where it was parked when mine failed - however it has happily lugged two horses about and been a daily driver also, not horrific on fuel at all. Parts are quite hard to come by though and as there aren't many around there doesn't seem to be any level of understanding with it at local garages! I'm pretty sure it's going to fail it's mot on rust so think it's time for a change - I wouldn't say no to a newer one but wanted to see what other options there are!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
second this. I have a 2006 one and it has everything in it bar Bluetooth and is actually a better spec than my 13 plate Nissan. It’s a super comfy car as well. Just a bit thirsty

I’ve been looking at Touaregs they really hold their value even with high mileage. VWs do last though my Golf is 2005 and body work is fab and never had any major issues since I’ve had it from new.(touch wood) Was my company lease car. Sadly book price is a lot lower than a Touareg of same age and mileage.

dixie

Visit site
I’d get another Rexton but then I have two fab dealers with 40 miles of me who know how to change their light bulbs !
Failing that Nissan Terranos are great. On paper they tow 2.8 but I live in Devon and had 3, all which towed two horses in a IW 510 easily up our steep hills.

L&M

Visit site
I had a auto kia sorento for 11 yrs, fab car for towing and economical for its size. The older models have a better towing capacity (think 2.8), but mine never struggled.

Also nice for everyday use.

Did 136,000 before any major faults......loved it.

gemisastar

Visit site
What's the mpg generally like on an older touareg? I get the impression they're fairly juicy, although I do like the look of them!

Suechoccy

Visit site
Mitsubishi Shogun?

There's a 1996 Daihatsu Fourtrak with only 70,000 miles on the clock, 3 owners from new (last one 18 years) on the Daihatsu Fourtrak Facebook group page. It looks like the Riviera model so a bit bling-y with air con. I have no connection with the seller and have never seen the car although I did check out its MOT history on DVLA and did think to myself I ought to view it as my own Fourtrak (1997) has 150,000 on the clock and is showing its age ... but then I decided I've owned mine for 15 years and I know it inside-out and know what bits I've replaced so I'll stick with my non-bling-y grey one. Fourtrak's tow 3.5 tonnes. Here's the link to the blue one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/6497312361/permalink/10156964734177362/?hc_location=ufi

Abi90

Visit site
Mine averages 26mpg so is very thirsty but because the mpg doesn’t really change when it’s towing it’s not actually cost me any more to run that my previous car

Bangagin

Visit site
I had a auto kia sorento for 11 yrs, fab car for towing and economical for its size. The older models have a better towing capacity (think 2.8), but mine never struggled.

Also nice for everyday use.

Did 136,000 before any major faults......loved it.

I've got a 53 plate auto Sorento - had it 6 years now, tows like a dream and towing capacity is 3.5. It has done almost 175,000 miles and although you need to be careful regarding bodywork rusting, and several common issues (fuel tank delamination and rear axle corrosion) if you get a good one they really are an amazing tow car.