Tow car- Toureg or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Michen

Visit site
Or anything else anyone can suggest that I may have overlooked?

I want a chunky, powerful 4x4 to tow two horses. I was 99% set on the toureg but have found myself looking at the Jeeps as am finding the need for an expensive upgraded cooling system frustrating with the toureg (apparently it’s not actually necessary and plenty of people put tow bars on without, but I would want to buy one direct from VW for the 2 year warranty and apparently not upgrading it can invalidate their warranty.

That said I really like the feel of a solid, German car aka VW. I’ve never driven a Jeep and obviously can’t test drive one any time soon- do they have that light steering wheel feel?

Budget of about £20-25k. Not really keen on a truck. I had disregarding a disco after the reports of them constantly breaking and costing a fortune to fix..?

Last edited:

asmp

Visit site
We are on our second Touareg and have never upgraded the cooling system and both came second hand from a VW dealer (Around your budget). Tows two horses with ease. Better than the BMW X5 we used to have.

Foxglove

Visit site
If you like chunky German cars and are looking in the Touareg price range have you considered BMW X5?

I know it’s terribly fashionable to knock the X5 but up until recently I used to tow with a 2015 plate 3l twin turbo and it was suberb. It had the factory fitter tow bar so had the additional towing capacity up to 3.5t and you seriously wouldn’t know there was anything on the back of it. I can’t really vouch for its off road capabilities as I do dressage in which most show centres are gravel / hardcore but I’d hazard a guess with a decent set of tyres on it would probably put up as good a show as most SUVs

Michen

Visit site
We are on our second Touareg and have never upgraded the cooling system and both came second hand from a VW dealer (Around your budget). Tows two horses with ease. Better than the BMW X5 we used to have.

Did you they confirm whether it would invalidate the warranty in any way? They said to me anything which could be attributed back to engine overheating would be an issue, so it sort of made no sense to me to pay a premium for one from VW with a warranty that may be void.. maybe I’ll try another dealer and see what they say.

Am guessing you retrospectively fitted a tow bar?

Michen

Visit site
If you like chunky German cars and are looking in the Touareg price range have you considered BMW X5?

I know it’s terribly fashionable to knock the X5 but up until recently I used to tow with a 2015 plate 3l twin turbo and it was suberb. It had the factory fitter tow bar so had the additional towing capacity up to 3.5t and you seriously wouldn’t know there was anything on the back of it. I can’t really vouch for its off road capabilities as I do dressage in which most show centres are gravel / hardcore but I’d hazard a guess with a decent set of tyres on it would probably put up as good a show as most SUVs

Ooo I didn’t realise they could tow that much or would be that powerful! Thanks. So the tow bar being a factory fit means the rating is higher than fitting one retrospectively!?

Foxglove

Visit site
Ooo I didn’t realise they could tow that much or would be that powerful! Thanks. So the tow bar being a factory fit means the rating is higher than fitting one retrospectively!?

yes, be very careful as I believe if it’s not factory fitted the limit is 2t!!

GSD Woman

Visit site
I'm very leery of Jeeps in general. Too many people I know have had them and they've been pieces of sh^t to be honest. They break down a lot.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have had a Touareg - fab car... I had a jeep as a replacement whilst it was fixed when someone drove in the side of me and I sent it back as it was so horrible to drive

asmp

Visit site
Did you they confirm whether it would invalidate the warranty in any way? They said to me anything which could be attributed back to engine overheating would be an issue, so it sort of made no sense to me to pay a premium for one from VW with a warranty that may be void.. maybe I’ll try another dealer and see what they say.

Am guessing you retrospectively fitted a tow bar?

Husband doesn’t recall ever hearing that from a VW dealer. Yes, the tow bar was fitted afterwards as VW ones are horrendously expensive.

To be fair our X5 was an old one and I did tow all over the country with it but with only one horse at that time. I enjoyed driving it but the electrics started to fail so it had to go. Husband looked at quite a few cars for towing 2 horses and decided on the VW as it could tow 3.5 and he liked driving it.

Broodle

Visit site
I have an 11yo Touareg and it's great to tow with and a generally nice car to drive. Over the years I've had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Nissan Pathfinder, and the Touareg is by far the superior all round general vehicle. I don't love it like I did the others, for some reason though?! It has irritating German features like automatic locking (even if your key is inside) and it takes yonks to clear a foggy windscreen... But probably the newer ones are better!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks all. I’ll continue the hunt fir the right toureg then without feeling like I should be checking out the jeep!

palo1

Visit site
To echo what others have said, I have an old jeep and tbh it is a brilliant tow and off road vehicle but a total nightmare in terms of reliability. It is not a vehicle we use on the road anymore but just at home for moving stuff round. They can be great fun and seriously capable but it is one vehicle I would never go for again! :) I always hated the cheap American feel though it is very comfortable. Newer ones are better I think but I love my Mitsubishi for her reliability. She is not as capable a towing vehicle or as much fun off road as my jeep though.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Does Volvo make a vehicle that could tow the weight of a trailer with 2 horses? Volvos are great for reliability and have a good resale value. Again, at least in the US but it sounds like Jeeps suck worldwide.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Anything but the Cherokee.
Gave a friend a lift to buy one some years ago. She filled it up on the way home, and I watched it piss petrol out of the hole in the tank as she pulled off the forecourt.
She spent twice the purchase price in repairs in the 6mths she owned it.

Abi90

Visit site
Does Volvo make a vehicle that could tow the weight of a trailer with 2 horses? Volvos are great for reliability and have a good resale value. Again, at least in the US but it sounds like Jeeps suck worldwide.

Not that will safely tow two. The XC90 is fab for just one though

Abi90

Visit site
I would have thought 2.7 tonnes capacity was more than enough for a modern trailer and two 'normal' sized horses.

Oh I thought it was less than 2.7 tonnes. My saddle fitter had one and she said it performed well with one horse but she felt it was a bit sketchy with two... I remember looking at them and discounting them for some reason, I thought it was the towing capacity

scruffyponies

Visit site
Oh I thought it was less than 2.7 tonnes. My saddle fitter had one and she said it performed well with one horse but she felt it was a bit sketchy with two... I remember looking at them and discounting them for some reason, I thought it was the towing capacity

You have to choose the right engine / gearbox combo, and it changes over time too.
This site really helps navigate the 'what will it tow' minefield: http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-make-model/volvo/volvo-xc90/

Pedantic

Visit site
Best towing vehicle I have ever had was my automatic e320 M clas Merc, whatever you do look at the towing capacity before buying anything, and if going for an automatic, check it's the same towing capacity as the manual.

Britestar

Visit site
Friend had a Toureg. Hated it. Thirsty, back springs constantly going, not to mention a string of other problems. Got rid, never to darken her door again .

dixie

Visit site
Have you not checked out the Ssangyong Rexton. They tow 3.5 very easily, have bmw engine and a 5yr warranty. You’ll probably get a newer one for your money too.

fairyclare

Visit site
Touareg!!
You do NOT need to upgrade the fan, certainly not fro the UK weather - if you were in Australia in 40 degree heat towing maximum capacity for long runs then yes, but we aren't and I am guessing you won't be doing that.

I love my Touareg, it is my first tow car and I changed from an Audi for it, love it.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Wouldn’t touch a Ssangyong with a bargepole, the gearboxes are made of cheese and I’ve heard numerous stories of dealers wriggling their way out of warranty repairs.

Would you consider a Ford Ranger? I assume not but the ones we deal with are proper workhorses and really reliable too.