Towing 3/4 horse trailers???

Visit site
Hi all, I’ve been lurking on this forum for years but there has always been a thread on any questions I wanted to ask until now! My three kids are riding and I want to be able to travel my horse and three ponies (although I don’t yet have a horse and won’t for a while because I’m spending all my money on ponies!). I love the little 3.5 ton trucks but they are so expensive and I’d need a horsebox as well. So I’ve been looking at these large horse boxes. There a couple that take 4 horses. Has anyone any experience with using these? If so what vehicle was it towed with? I’m thinking a Toyota landcruiser but in the pictures it always seems to be a Range Rover pulling them!! Thank you in advance for any info! (Below are a couple of pics of the kind of trailers I’m thinking of, 1st one is 3horse, 2nd is 4horse)
CD144484-78F0-4AC4-8E5F-D82AFE6D4ABB.jpeg915EE7E2-9F83-4B87-B0FB-71D0EFC456F2.jpeg

Baywonder

Visit site
Nice pics!

I can't offer any useful advice, as we have only towed a two horse trailer.

May I suggest you re-post this in The Tack Room? This area of the forum gets very little traffic, so you would get a much better response there. :)

maya2008

Visit site
Me being me, I'd have a 3.5 to take horse and a small pony, get a tow ball fitted and buy a 2 horse light trailer to hook on the back, so for the occasional outings you can take everyone out.
Would have thought that might be an easier or as cheap option?

We have a similar problem, and my 3.5T definitely only carries its payload - when it gets close to the 1.2T payload (incl people, fuel etc) it starts to struggle (up hills etc). I'm not sure it would tow as well as having horses in it.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
We have a similar problem, and my 3.5T definitely only carries its payload - when it gets close to the 1.2T payload (incl people, fuel etc) it starts to struggle (up hills etc). I'm not sure it would tow as well as having horses in it.
It does very much depend on engine size too, I've a 2.8 in mine and have on a couple of occasions towed friends trailer behind my box, 1 x 14hh on my box and 2 x 16hh+ in trailer, without pulling issues.

Visit site
It does very much depend on engine size too, I've a 2.8 in mine and have on a couple of occasions towed friends trailer behind my box, 1 x 14hh on my box and 2 x 16hh+ in trailer, without pulling issues.
That’s really interesting. I was surprised that the engines in those 3.5 ton trucks all seem to be below 3litre. As a big jeep is only about that I was wondering how they would get on with two horses onboard and another two in the trailer.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
I have the top one, I tow it with a pick up truck no bother. It tows like a dream BUT and this really is a massive BUT I would avoid this make like the plague, I have literally just posted a thread about mine and I have had nothing but bother with it since we bought it. It is not fit for purpose and I would now say it is dangerous for me to travel my horse in it and I have only owned it for 10 months. I literally wish I had never seen them and I had stuck with the Ifor Williams, yes it is as ugly as sin but I never had a bother with it going wrong!

Visit site
I have the top one, I tow it with a pick up truck no bother. It tows like a dream BUT and this really is a massive BUT I would avoid this make like the plague, I have literally just posted a thread about mine and I have had nothing but bother with it since we bought it. It is not fit for purpose and I would now say it is dangerous for me to travel my horse in it and I have only owned it for 10 months. I literally wish I had never seen them and I had stuck with the Ifor Williams, yes it is as ugly as sin but I never had a bother with it going wrong!
Well that is a very useful piece of info! I’ve talked to someone with the 4 horse one and they say the same re towing (which was my main concern.) but I might have to see who else does them. (Don’t think Ifor Williams do them?)