Towing Advice BMW

horse2016

New User
Visit site
Regardless off what you tow with or what the weights are. Before I even look onto towing with my vehicle again which I have done already and I think weight wise with a light weight trailer and small Pony I could. I want to ask do you tow with a BMW 1 (2 litre) series? Or do you know anybody who does. Its a rear wheel drive and not sure this would be suitable? .. just want to ask about before I think of changing me vehicle. Thanks in advance

ROG

Visit site
Rear wheel drive is better than front for towing but not so good for non solid/dry surfaces

If you only have a B licence or need legal info for weights etc then feel free to ask me by clicking the first link below in my signature

Girlracer

Visit site
I own a BMW 1 Series 118d, towing capacity is 1200KG. So as far as I can tell a 401 at 770KG with a max load of 430KG would be legal (which rules me out with a horse at 550KG).

I personally however would not feel confident towing a horse trailer with my car, particularly not if at any point I had to drive off hard-standing, it struggles to get itself off grass most the time nevermind + 1200KG!

horse2016

New User
Visit site
Great. Thanks for your advice. I thought this may be the case. Just wanted to see if anybody actually does before i rule out the option.

happybear

Visit site
I often wonder the same thing about my car, which is a new model BMW X3 and also a 2.0l engine. On paper it looks like it would tow one horse (can't remember weights off the top of my head) but I'm never convinced it would actually do a good job... anyone know?

ROG

Visit site
Vehicle manufacturers go through very stringent testing of their vehicles so if it states it will tow X amount of weight then that is what it will tow under normal conditions

If that was not the case then the courts would have many cases where the manufacturers would lose a law suit

The FEELING when towing with different types of vehicles is varied

MuddyTB

Visit site
I often wonder the same thing about my car, which is a new model BMW X3 and also a 2.0l engine. On paper it looks like it would tow one horse (can't remember weights off the top of my head) but I'm never convinced it would actually do a good job... anyone know?

You'll be fine, I tow a big trailer and 16.1 horse with the 2.0l BMW X1 and it has no problem. Towed on to long grass and soft fields and never struggled. I wouldn't want to test it on a steep hill off road or in deep mud, but for most day to day use it's more than capable.

happybear

Visit site
You'll be fine, I tow a big trailer and 16.1 horse with the 2.0l BMW X1 and it has no problem. Towed on to long grass and soft fields and never struggled. I wouldn't want to test it on a steep hill off road or in deep mud, but for most day to day use it's more than capable.

Thanks for your advice! One to think about, then, as my only ambition is to toddle 4 miles down the road to the local riding club!

paddi22

Visit site
my dad towed us with a 1.8 litre merc in the 80s. one 15hh connie and a rice horsebox.
It got us to all the local shows for decades. Saying that, you could feel it struggle up steep hills, and it slipped slightly once going down a hill in bad weather. And we avoided grass shows if the ground was bad. But it got us to every show and hunt for years and years.

I wouldn't personally tow with a car myself as im used to the jeep, but if I was stuck and it was only going to local shows a few miles up the road on good ground then i would.

There's a good amatuer eventer blog in ireland where the lady looked into all the towing options. She ended up with 1.7 litre hyundai i think, but she breaks down all the various issues quite well
http://www.insidetrackeventing.com/2017/01/10/ireland-towing-guide/