Towing and MAM

janem_g

Visit site
Hello,

I've seen lots of knowledgeable posts about towing so hope you can help me. I tow an elderly Rice 2 horse trailer which has a new aluminium floor and weighs 800kg with a Mazda CX-5. Only ever one pony 14.2. I'm trying to accurately calculate how much my total allowable weight is for trailer pony and sundry stuff that can legally and safely be towed.

If someone can help me make sense of it I would be very grateful

Jazzmaster

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I've seen lots of knowledgeable posts about towing so hope you can help me. I tow an elderly Rice 2 horse trailer which has a new aluminium floor and weighs 800kg with a Mazda CX-5. Only ever one pony 14.2. I'm trying to accurately calculate how much my total allowable weight is for trailer pony and sundry stuff that can legally and safely be towed.

If someone can help me make sense of it I would be very grateful

Do you have a B+E licence? There is a very good flow chart on the Ifor Williams website which helps to work it out if you are referring to licences. In summary, it’s not what you are actually carrying it’s what you have the potential to carry, hence the MAM.
If you are looking at towing capability for your vehicle then you would need to look at train weight for your vehicle and work out whether you trailer, load and vehicle are within this weight.

ROG

Visit site
Post number 3000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread should answer all your questions - link in my signature below

popsdosh

Visit site
There will be no issues with the car towing the trailer as the towing weight limit is around 2000kg . However the limiting factor will be licence requirement . If your licence is pre 1997 your ok if after you are not likely to be able to drive that combination without taking a trailer test to gain B+E entitlement as the trailer MAM is likely to be in excess of the 1500kg required with that car ,as its MAM is 2000kg and you cannot have the two combined over 3.5T irrespective of load.
If its an old Rice trailer without a weight plate the MAM will be taken as the tyres maximum load (on sidewall) X4.

janem_g

Visit site
I should have said, I am old 50 so no problem with licence. The trailer is 800kg, pony is 450kg so happy I'm within towing limits. Its what I am able to carry in the car as well. The GVW is 2105kg according to door plate. I need to carry, tack, grooming stuff and picnic which I usually do without worrying but this weekend I need to transport as much water as possible and that's what I can't get to drips with.

ROG

Visit site
I should have said, I am old 50 so no problem with licence. The trailer is 800kg, pony is 450kg so happy I'm within towing limits. Its what I am able to carry in the car as well. The GVW is 2105kg according to door plate. I need to carry, tack, grooming stuff and picnic which I usually do without worrying but this weekend I need to transport as much water as possible and that's what I can't get to drips with.

You can load the car up to a total of 2105
You can load the trailer up to its maximum MAM providing the vehicle towing limit allows it
Each has its own separate weight limit

janem_g

Visit site
Thankyou, I don't put much in the trailer as worry about it being secured. I THINK I'm ok the after calculating weight of water at approx 100kg along with 2 passengers? I've become very muddled with kerb weights GVM MAM etc.

ROG

Visit site
Thankyou, I don't put much in the trailer as worry about it being secured. I THINK I'm ok the after calculating weight of water at approx 100kg along with 2 passengers? I've become very muddled with kerb weights GVM MAM etc.

Most cars can load at least 500kg into them