Towing cheval touring trailer with range rover evoque

holly.91

Visit site
Im new to towing, i have a range rover evoque 2.2 4x4 with 1800kg towing capacity
i would like to buy and tow the brand new Cheval single touring (750kg unloaded) or the double touring (850kg unloaded)
horsey weighs about 650kg and is 16.3, so max total weight would be 1,400 minus saddle
looking at the specs it looks like my car could do it easily, but i dont see the evoques towing very often. really dont want anything bigger and love my evoque!
plus, i would probably only use it once a week so dont want a 3.5t ...
TIA!

asmp

Visit site
I’m sure more knowledgeable people will reply but I personally wouldn’t want to tow with only 1800kg towing capacity.

Afon_34

Visit site
Sorry can't comment on the Cheval, but I used to tow with my evoque- 1x 15.2hh (about 500/550kg) in my Ifor 510 trailer no problems

holeymoley

Visit site
My friend used her evoque to tow her 16.2 horse in an ifor 505. Horse didn’t travel well in a trailer so she sold the trailer but as far as I’m aware she had no problem with it. She ended up selling the evoque though as the steering column broke on it, she’s lucky it never caused a very bad accident.

Belmont

Visit site
I’m sure more knowledgeable people will reply but I personally wouldn’t want to tow with only 1800kg towing capacity.
Me neither. I've gone back to towing with my tucson with 2200kg and even that is a push at times (only ever with one horse).

Annagain

Visit site
Reliability aside, Land Rovers tend to tow better than other makes in the same class as them as they use the technology and expertise that goes into their real towing workhorses (Defender and Discovery) in all their models. 400kg to spare on a vehicle that is designed by people who know how to design a tow car would be fine, I'd say.

The only thing I'd say about the Cheval is, if your horse is 650kg, make sure he fits on the double tourer. I looked into it for my 16.2 chunky boy who weighs 630kg and decided against it as it just looked bit small. A friend has one for her 15.2 cob and he doesn't have loads of room. That was with the tack room though so maybe without that it could be better (and would help with weight as, not only would the trailer weigh less, you'd put all your tack in the car and it wouldn't contribute to the weight you have to tow). I haven't looked at the single so that might be better too. There's a big version now but that wouldn't help you with the weight you can tow.

Madd1

Visit site
I think where you're towing to would make a difference. Do you have to go up/down steep hills or is it fairly flat where you are ?.

holly.91

Visit site
good to hear that some people do use them.
I should add that it would be used 1-2 times a week to drive down to the local arena hire and to pick up hay and bedding! Fields, bad weather, hills and motorways would be avoided.
thanks for all the replies