Towing help please

Zaps

Visit site
Please help me stay sane!
My sister wants to borrow my car tomorrow
She hasn’t got the ‘grandfather rights’ license.
Wishes to tow with my Honda CRV
Ifor Williams 505 a 450kg horse.
Is she legal??
She telephoned DVLA who simply said ‘If the combined weight of car, trailer, horse is under 3.5t you’re fine’

She questioned kerb, braked etc and the guy reiterated ‘whole combined weight of all three’ and finished up the call
😬👌🏼😬

Abi90

Visit site
No he’s wrong or at least not being clear. The combined maximum weight of car and trailer must be under 3.5T which I don’t think it will be

Littlebear

Visit site
The weight of the car is around 1600kg, the trailer around 1000kg, and the horse 450kg plus the weight of passengers and other bits and pieces would probably be just about inside.

Abi90

Visit site
The weight of the car is around 1600kg, the trailer around 1000kg, and the horse 450kg plus the weight of passengers and other bits and pieces would probably be just about inside.

Yes but the MAM of the trailer is about 2T so unless the GVW of the car is 1.5T (unlikely) then it’s illegal

Shay

Visit site
Sorry - she has NOT got a pre '97 license? Then surely she needs her Trailer test? or did I miss something?

Abi90

Visit site
Sorry - she has NOT got a pre '97 license? Then surely she needs her Trailer test? or did I miss something?

You can tow an braked trailer on a B licence as long as the vehicle and trailer’s maximum possible weights combined are less than 3.5T. It very doable but this combination won’t be legal

ROG is the expert though

phizz4

Visit site
I'm afraid that it is not about the weight of the car or the trailer but the maximum weight (MAM) of each that you need to add up.

This will tell you what the MAM or gross vehicle weight is for your car (it varies with model and age). https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/honda/cr-v/gross-vehicle-weight/

The gross weight for an Ifor Williams 505 is 2340 kg. This is the weight of the trailer plus the maximum weight that you can carry in it (which is called the payload). The lowest GVW for a Honda CRV is 1950 kg. Adding those two together gives a train weight of 4290 kg, which is way over the 3.5 kg limit without a trailer licence.

ROG

Visit site
As others have stated the LAW for towing a horse trailer on a B licence is the plated GVW of the vehicle added to the plated weight of the trailer
Those two plated weights must not exceed 3500kg

Actual weights do not come into licencing laws only plated weights

Much more on this in post number 3000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread - link below in my signature