Towing in snow-would you?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Our PC is having training sessions and we are under a lot of pressure to attend but the problem is the weather. The venue is nearly 30 miles away and the roads are terrible and its snowing but we are expected to attend, and criticised if we don't. It's my view that towing in snow is irresponsible but the others don't seem to give it a second thought, though to be fair most of them live much nearer to the venue. Would be really interested to hear people's views on this!

Cedars

Visit site
Nope. You'd be more criticised if you killed your horse through driving in dangerous conditions.

The only exception would be if it was genuinely life threatening and there weren't other options - but at that point I'd be thinking about creating convoys etc not just towing on my own.

Baileyhoss

Visit site
I wouldn't set out in snow. We have made a return journey in unexpected heavy snow from a weekend thing, and had to take it very steady. One of the other people attending the course jackknifed the trailer on a roundabout on the way home :(

Not worth the risk, especially as most other drivers on the road turn into numptys in the snow.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it's difficult to know how the weather is going to turn and light snow at 7am could mean thick snow at midday. So we err on the side of caution-but I know we get talked about behind our backs!

Marydoll

Visit site
Our PC is having training sessions and we are under a lot of pressure to attend but the problem is the weather. The venue is nearly 30 miles away and the roads are terrible and its snowing but we are expected to attend, and criticised if we don't. It's my view that towing in snow is irresponsible but the others don't seem to give it a second thought, though to be fair most of them live much nearer to the venue. Would be really interested to hear people's views on this!

For this, never in a million years, :eek: let them talk and if they say anything directly to you tell them you risk assessed it :D and the risk of a show wasnt worth you, your children or your horses lives ;)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
When you think that they tow in snow in the USA and Canada, you wonder why we don't...

I just think that UK snow is somehow more dangerous so... no way would I tow in snow. Danger to the horse is one thing but I like my life (mostly) and it's not worth it.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Absolutely no way - tbh, I would be having a quiet chat with whoever is organising these things, as to encourage towing in the snow is not exactly good going is it ?

braindead

Visit site
I ended up at 90 degrees in the middle of a busy main road today and that was in an ordinary car in the wet, so towing a trailer in the snow. Hell no!!!

irishdraft

Visit site
I was put under pressure to take a horse for a fairly long journey in the last lot of snow we had, with the condidtion being uncertain I refused, its just not worth having an accident for and i have been towing for 25 years.

navaho

Visit site
We went to collect hay in the last bad lot of snow we had here, it was clear when we left home, but 15 miles down the road it was was coming down very hard, coming down a small hill with a bend, our 4x4 slid & the weight of the trailer made it 100 times worse, we nearly ended up over a very steep drop. Had we of had horses in the back we would have been over it. So no i definitely wouldnt even entertain doing the trip, its just not worth putting your horses lives at risk.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Absolutely not no- We had to transport our pony in the last snow and it was a nightmare. The roads were lethal.
My partner drove and he's very experienced at towing and very good at it but even he said he'd not have done it if not essential.
Luckily we only had to take him about 3 miles from the vet hospital to home but certainly if we'd have had the choice id not have risked it.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
no way, its hard enough to control a car around a corner in the snow, let alone a trailer too! the only time I'd consider it is if the horse had to get to the vet ASAP and there wasn't a lorry available!

HopeforMe

New User
Visit site
If you feel it is a bad idea, then it probably is.

I live in Canada. I don't tow in snow if I can help it. It isn't worth it.
People who don't live here seem to think we all happily drive around in snowdrifts. Actually, we are really good at rescheduling events in case of bad weather. I have all the equipment, 4WD, snow tires, but I still don't tow my horses in bad weather.

People will always talk. Let them. You know what is best for you and your horses.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
No way. I also think the PC should postpone the session so others aren't tempted to risk themselves and their horses.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
We went to collect hay in the last bad lot of snow we had here, it was clear when we left home, but 15 miles down the road it was was coming down very hard, coming down a small hill with a bend, our 4x4 slid & the weight of the trailer made it 100 times worse, we nearly ended up over a very steep drop. Had we of had horses in the back we would have been over it. So no i definitely wouldnt even entertain doing the trip, its just not worth putting your horses lives at risk.

blimmin hell, that is scary! glad you didnt have a horse in there!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it's difficult to know how the weather is going to turn and light snow at 7am could mean thick snow at midday. So we err on the side of caution-but I know we get talked about behind our backs!

There is a very good saying currently doing the Facebook rounds, I can't get the link to work, but it says " don't worry about those talking about you behind your back, they are behind you for a reason"
Very true.
Your safely, that of the ponies and other road users is paramount.
Bar an emergency vet visit I would not tow or take a horsebox out in the snow,or bad ice.