Towing in the wind

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No, I’m a confident tower with a very stable outfit, but I don’t tow in strong winds. What’s the weather forecast in your area for Saturday?

ETA Looking at the forecast for here, I’d cancel anything that wasn’t urgent such as a vet visit.

Last edited:

Merrymoles

Visit site
I've got the same dilemma - friend and I are supposed to be taking the horses to a show on Sunday - mine's first ever and hers first for a long time. The forecast is slightly better but the wind is still worrying me as we are forecast 30mph gusts at the moment and it's a flat exposed route. They are both good travellers and it's a stable set up but I'm almost hoping there is so much rain that between now and then it will be cancelled.

And getting them clean on Saturday isn't going to be much fun either if we get the forecast thunderstorms...

Wheels

Visit site
It depends for me how gusty it will be

I will tow in steady winds up to about 20mph (depending on the route) but that reduces down to around 15mph if there are likely to be strong gusts (ie over 40 mph)

Green Bean

Visit site
I wouldn’t tow in gusts over 30mph. My horse is not an easy loader and is nervous on the trailer so wouldn’t do anything that would make her more anxious. There is also the issue of the wind when you arrive, a lot of horses don’t perform at their best in the wind, let alone at a show.