Towing IW HB511 - Advise on anti weave/sway bars

millimoo

Visit site
Hi, just looking for some advise...
My mum has just sold her lorry (gutted) as she's not using it as much as she used to, and has put a deposit down on a brand new Ifor Williams HB511.
She had a HB510 10 years ago, and towed with a Daihatsu Four Track, but I know different 4x4s can give a different towing experience.

She does not drive fast, but will be taking it on the motorway behind a 2008 Landrover Discovery 3 manual - but in future may use my step dads Automatic Discovery 4.

The trailer company suggested she may want to try Anti Weave bars to reduce any swaying on the motorway, but was wondering whether there are any pros or cons to doing this.

Also posted in Competition Rider, but any feedback would be appreciated, as she's a little nervous as the neighbour rolled her and her other horse in an IW trailer on the motorway 5 years ago (all ok eventually, thankfully)

Edited to add: By these I'm referring to anti Sway bars that are attached to the towing vehicles chassis.

Last edited:

Kallibear

Visit site
Is the horse prone to weaving? By weaving bars I'm assuming you mean the contraptions you can put in to stop the horse weaving whilst travelling?

I've certainly never found the 511 anything but completely stable, even in the wind. I tow on the motorway/bypass regularlly and have alway found it stable.

I'd have thought that it's really quite difficult for a horse along to trip the 511 trailer: iIve had a couple throwing themselves around spectacularly and the trailer bounced but didn't even threaten to trip. However taking corners too fast or driving too fast in general would be dangerous.

millimoo

Visit site
Hi Kallibear - thanks for your reply, but no, not anti-weave bars to stop the horse weaving :D
Anit-sway bars that are attached to the towing vehicle chassis, and reduce sway.
Obviously speed causes swaying, but so do lorries hammering past you on the motorway

Kallibear

Visit site
I've heard of those but never used them. Pretty sure they were' called something else though? Anti-snaking I think?

Never had a issues on the motor way with lorries. You should be going fast enough that few lorries will over take!!: 55mph ish. I never sit at 40mph on the motorways!

A new discovery should be sophiscticated enough to have various computerised do-dahs inbuilt that help with that. I big merc I tow with certainly does: it has a factory fitted towbar so has the altered supsions and braking to go with it.

millimoo

Visit site
Ok, can you tell I know nothing?
I've towed, but as in hitched up and away we go and never had a problem....
Thanks for the feedback though, it's all useful stuff :)

Always Henesy

Visit site
Hi OP
I know exactly what you mean.
We had to have one fitted to ours (not attached to the trailer though - just the type of tow bar). We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 Turbo diesel and did have slight snaking when towing my 17.2hh TbxWB
We were not going fast either. It was quite frightening at the time.
I now tow the 511 with my 19hh Shire x WB and can't take it much over 40mph even on the motorways.
However when I have towed with a 13.3hh Fell pony we could easily cruise at 50/55mph on the motorway no problem.
So thinking it all depends on the weight of the horse/ size of the car etc :confused:

I'm not sure tbh - but I always drive really steady when I tow my lad.

Maybe ROG could advise?