Towing IW Trailer - With/without Anti-Weave Bar

millimoo

Visit site
Hi, just looking for some advise...
My mum has just sold her lorry (gutted) as she's not using it as much as she used to, and has put a deposit down on a brand new Ifor Williams HB511.
She had a 510 10 years ago, and towed with a Daihatsu Four Track, but I know different 4x4s can give a different towing experience.

She does not drive fast, but will be taking it on the motorway behind a 2008 Landrover Discovery 3 manual - but in future may use my step dads Automatic Discovery 4.

The trailer company suggested she may want to try Anti Weave bars to reduce any swaying on the motorway, but was wondering whether there are any pros or cons to doing this. By these I'm referring to anti Sway bars that are attached to the towing vehicles chassis.

Also posted in New Lounge, but any feedback would be appreciated, as she's a little nervous as the neighbour rolled her and her other horse in an IW trailer on the motorway 5 years ago (all ok eventually, thankfully)

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
I have towed many thousand miles with discovery 3 and 4 you do not need anti sway devices just watch out where lorries have rutted the inside lane as the discovery has nearly the same track width as a LGV so you can find yourself being pulled into one or other rut.You will get used to driving a little closer to the white line between the inside and the middle lane to avoid this.
I have never encountered a stability problem with a trailer unlike the discovery 2s.

dixie

Visit site
I've also travelled quite a few miles without an antiweave bar and had no problems (except once but that turned out to be a flat tyre).

However, given the option I would get an antiweave bar fitted - why wouldn't you? Can't think of any reasons why not other than expense. I believe there is also a device that fits within the towing hitch itself (the bit that sits on the cars tow ball) that also prevents trailers swaying.

Having said that, I've not had experience towing with one and I'm sure there will be someone on here who can give you their view.