towing on cat b license...

aradiagreen

Visit site
Hi,

I have a post 97 car license (it was 2007) so i hold a cat b license. It's my understanding that I can pull horse & trailer of they come to less than 3.5t. I drive a 2007 I think skoda octavia skout 4x4 estate that can tow up to 1600kg. Its kerbweight is 1530kg. I pull a 650kg bateson trailer. My ponies weigh about 410-420kg each. So ponies plus trailer are about 1500kg. Tbh I rarely take both. I thought this was fine but I keep being told people don't think I'm legal but I can't understand why? The car weighs more than 75% of loaded trailer. I rarely take both but I do think it's legal. There is a hay net in the trailer with them and that's it.

My cob hates travelling in it though and my mare hates travelling in it with him in it although she's fine alone.so I'm thinking of getting my c1 (does that improve my trailer towing capabilities or just that I can drive up to 7.5t?). Or buying an older (can't afford new!) 3.5t box. Though alot of the older ones look pretty big and heavy so not sure how much pony they could carry and remain beneath 3.5t!

Any advice please? Thanks for taking the time to read.

popsdosh

Visit site
The MAM of the car is around 2020-2090 kg depending on model so its leaves you 1400kg for the trailer and ponies. Very marginal!

SuperCat007

Visit site
C1 won't help, that'll only allow you to drive up to 7.5T. You need to do the B+E or C1+E to be able to tow >3.5T, though obviously still must be within the towing capacity of the car.

For the B licence you need the mass of the car, the MAM of the trailer AND the load in the trailer to be under 3.5 tonnes, so you probably are over the limit with two ponies on board. You can have your trailer down-plated so it's within the limit, but that reduces the mass you can load into the trailer.

ROG

Visit site
post number 2000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC explains it all - see link below in my signature

or you can ask me questions on that thread - i have email alerts for it

DebP

Visit site
And you would need to get the MAM of trailer changed so that the combination of the MAM of both is under 3.5t