Towing question - Nissan x-trail 2017 1.6

dollymix

Visit site
As above, will a Nissan X-Trail 2017, 1.6 be legally able to tow one horse?

Usually hire An IW 511 but would like to buy a Cheval Liberte touring trailer ideally.

kerb weights, max brake weights... it all blows my mind! Just want to keep the neddy safe!

she is a 15hh weighing 550kg

dollymix

Visit site
I haven’t bought it yet!

Currently in the market for a new motor and otherwise like this for an every day car.

not sure where I can find this info?

lannerch

Visit site
I Think looking it up you will be fine think as long as your car is manual it has a towing capacity of 2000kg unladen trailer weight is stated as 850g so combined weight of horse and trailer would be around 1400kg so as long as you passed your licence before January 1997 then you are good to go . If you passed after then You may scrape it by downplating the trailer all depends on the mam which is the weight of your car when fully loaded .

dollymix

Visit site
I Think looking it up you will be fine think as long as your car is manual it has a towing capacity of 2000kg unladen trailer weight is stated as 850g so combined weight of horse and trailer would be around 1400kg so as long as you passed your licence before January 1997 then you are good to go . If you passed after then You may scrape it by downplating the trailer all depends on the weight of your car loaded .
I have done my trailer test so no worries there ?

thanks for the advice!

Batgirl

Visit site
Depends on the model and if it is manual.

Manual 2000kg
Auto 1500kg

Also depends on the weight of the horse, mine at 800kgs + I think it would struggle, racehorse/pony probably OK :)

Bit of advice, do not let car sales people convince you that 'it'll be fine' ask to see the log book - the towing capacity is listed. I had a salesman try to sell me an auto Honda CRV that had 1400kg towing capacity! Nob!