Towing recommendations please :)

orangegrace

Visit site
Hi

We brought an Ifor 511 at the start of the year and were borrowing a friends vehicle, Kio Sorrento 07 plate, to tow our 2 horses, both weighing 600kg. The vehicle has now fallen through so we are on the look out at buying something. Max budget is around 8k although around 5/6k would be better.

Must be able to pull 511 and 1200kg in horses. Mostly for shorter journeys but will be taking some trips to the coast (3 hour journey) and be cheapish to run (i know there is no such thing as a cheap 4x4)

We have been looking at the older kia sorrentos and also the L200s (seems to be either great reviews or terrible) so any feedback on these or other suggestions would be great. I have done so much reading and researching but it blows my mind and as soon as i think i have my head around exactly what i need to look at i get confused again.. Am i right in thinking the main thing i need to be looking at is the towing capacity of the vehicle needs to be higher than the horses+ trailer weight ?

thanks for any advice!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I test drove an L200 but they are quite long with a not very good turning circle which is why I went for a shogun instead. I have the SWB with 2 seats and a huge boot and it tows my IW506 with 15.1 and 14.1 no problem. The torque is so good it will pull forward in drive without me putting my foot on the accelerator. It is an automatic though and towing is effortless.

Visit site
We tow with a Ford Ranger and it’s heavenly but it’s obviously long like the L200, so if you’re not used to or don’t like having a long train, I would avoid.

We have previously had a Sorento and it was lovely, towed with ease and lovely to drive. We had it a few years and never had an issue with it, I would definitely recommend a Sorento.

Wheels

Visit site
I've had a few different types over the years.

I've just sold a land cruiser that was about your budget. It was SWB so really handy for getting about and easy to park. My only issue was lack of boot space. If I wanted to take tack, mounting block, rugs etc and the dog there was not much room. Stay away shows were difficult as really had to think about what to take etc. as not as much room as I would like.

I had an L200 but hated towing with it, far too long with an awful turning circle, not nice to drive but was handy to chuck fencing etc in the flat bed.

Shogun was LWB so plenty of room and built for the job but I had some mechanical problems

Jeep grand Cherokee was mostly good but very thirsty

So out of those and in your price range I would go for a LWB landcruiser

Visit site
If you need to carry stuff in your boot, the Sorento is ideal as its a seven seater and seats 6 & 7 are stored away until needed, you have the most enormous boot. The rear seats fold flat too, so youd easily camp out if ever needed! Stock photos to give you an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2385.JPG
    IMG_2385.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 6

EventingMum

Visit site
I'd recommend a Ford Ranger, they're relatively cheap for servicing and parts compared with others eg our Toyota Hilux was significantly more and as pickups are classed as commercial vehicles the road tax is about £270 a year. They also tow very well.

dixie

Visit site
I’d recommend looking at ssangyong Rexton.
they tow 3.5 tonnes, lovely cars to drive and you could pick up a decent one for your budget.
I’ve had mine for 5yrs now and will get another when I upgrade.

orangegrace

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Thats really helpful!
I think we are going to look at the kia still and a ssangyoung, although they don't seem as common so struggling to find much feedback/reviews on them !

Annagain

Visit site
I'd say you need something with at least a 2500kg towing capacity to be on the safe side. The trailer weighs 1000kg give or take a few kilos so with the horses that makes 2200kg - add a bit of leeway in case the horses are a bit bigger or you want to carry some water / tack in the trailer.

irishdraft

Visit site
Always best to go for 3500 towing capacity then your always covered I towed with landrover defender 90 swb for years there was no situation that vechicle couldn't handle had big tyres on but was very agricultural. Now have swb shogun which is very comfortable and seems to do the job ok . I tow 510 and generally one 600kg sometimes 2 .

dixie

Visit site
My Ssangyong will be for sale very shortly.
I've bought a newer model which I’m picking up Monday.
PM me if you’re interested.
It’s a 2014 automatic With 90k miles in silver.