Towing trailer on motorways etc.. Towing in general!

Clannad48

Visit site
As an ex articulated lorry driver and now someone who tows a horse trailer, I never tow above 50mph. I have even purchased stickers for the rear of the trailer stating that my max speed is 50mph. The lorry driver in me would rather overtake a slow car and trailer than one that was swaying all over the place. I stay in the slow lane on motorways and if I feel 'threatened' by a large lorry coming up behind me to overtake I must confess to slightly moving into the hard shoulder if I feel it is safe to do so, although this is rare.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
I think the most important thing is to travel at a speed that you are comfortable with...
probably lost in translation with my poor English, but I did not mean to suggest that you should go a certain speed to avoid lorries but to highlight that they cannot go any faster!
It works the other way as well...if you are travelling at 54mph then an overtaking lorry is going to be beside you for some distance until he can overtake you..and even longer if it is an incline and he is laden....there is nothing he/she can do....

Sometimes it may be more prudent to ease off and let them past faster...

You'll soon get used to it.....the trick is mirrors, mirrors and more mirrors and anticipate every manueorve..

popsdosh

Visit site
I'm an experienced tower, and I tow at 50mph max. My outfit (LWB Shogun and Ifor 510) is rock solid. At 50mph, we can easily withstand buffeting by overtaking HGVs, lorry wheel grooves in the road, braking when idiots cut in front and whatnot. Once my speed ups to 60mph, I have much less wriggle room in hand, so I don't go there.

The problem is that 50mph, as previously mentioned, is not fast enough to be safe on a motorway, you need to be travelling at HGV speeds. HGVs pick up a hell of a speed on a downhill stretch! This means that I avoid motorways if at all possible, and certainly avoid peak times.

A nice straight dual carriageway with not many roundabouts is the ideal road to tow on, IMHO :).

HGV still cant go quicker than 56 even on downhill sections the speed limiters do not allow it.

stormox

Visit site
The speed limit for LGVs on dual carriageways/Mways has been upped to 60mph recently, but Im sure they go faster than that, theyve overtaken me when Ive been doing 60 in my van enough times

Mike007

Visit site
I found a blade type stabiliser made all the difference. When I was 17 yrs old I had to tow with a 1.6 Vauxhall Cavalier, and to stay legal I had a very lightweight rear unload only trailer. With no stabiliser it was awful and wriggly, with one it was fine.

The stabiliser that red 1 is refering to is an anti snakeing device which absorbs the energy from a snakeing situation . NO ONE SHOULD DRIVE WITH A TRAILER WITHOUT ONE.Just googled and found a typical one http://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-200q-anti-snake-stabiliser/9 This is not a particular reference for this company but posted to give folks an idea of what they need .

Last edited:

orionstar

Visit site
The legal speed limit for towing on a motorway is 50. I don't mind it, lorries and other traffic tend to be quite respectful, I've never been cut up by anything on a motorway, and the faster you go the more unstable you become. You just need to do what others are suggestion about anticipation and keeping a good distance from the vehicle in front.

popsdosh

Visit site
The speed limit for LGVs on dual carriageways/Mways has been upped to 60mph recently, but Im sure they go faster than that, theyve overtaken me when Ive been doing 60 in my van enough times

up to 7.5 ton LCV now has a 70MPH motorway speed limit . So a quick note for those with speed limited 7.5t horseboxes you can get them recalibrated to the new limits.

popsdosh

Visit site
The stabiliser that red 1 is refering to is an anti snakeing device which absorbs the energy from a snakeing situation . NO ONE SHOULD DRIVE WITH A TRAILER WITHOUT ONE.Just googled and found a typical one http://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-200q-anti-snake-stabiliser/9 This is not a particular reference for this company but posted to give folks an idea of what they need .

Or get a towing vehicle that takes care of it for you ! Several vehicles now come with trailer towing management programs that detect sway and automatically correct it.

The vehicle has a huge difference on sway as the longer the wheelbase the more stable they are so many so called tow cars and SUVs are getting shorter which is detrimental. As the tail wags the dog . Also another major cause of snaking is low or uneven trailer tyre pressures
as the trailer starts moving on its own tyres.

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
The legal speed limit for towing on a motorway is 50. I don't mind it, lorries and other traffic tend to be quite respectful, I've never been cut up by anything on a motorway, and the faster you go the more unstable you become. You just need to do what others are suggestion about anticipation and keeping a good distance from the vehicle in front.

60mph is the legal towing speed limit on dual carriageway and motorway.

Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles when towing caravans or trailers 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 60 (96)

quizzie

Visit site
up to 7.5 ton LCV now has a 70MPH motorway speed limit . So a quick note for those with speed limited 7.5t horseboxes you can get them recalibrated to the new limits.

Do you know when that came in? And/ or do you have a link to it.....would be really useful....thanks.

quizzie

Visit site
Thanks...unfortunately I don't think that overrides the EU requirement for a 56mph speed limiter, even for a relatively newer under 7.5 ton......would love to be proved wrong.......

ROG

Visit site
UK law is 60 for LGV on motorway
EU law says 56 limiter must be fitted

The limiter can legally and practically be over-ridden going down hill - I know cos I have done it many times - the accelerator pedal goes 'floppy' when that happens but goes back to normal when the speed reduces back to the limiter setting

LGV C1s (7.5s) have always had a UK motorway speed limit of 70 and are allowed to use outer lane but many are now fitted with 56 limiters and are not allowed to use outer lane
CAVEAT = Outer lane where motorways have 3 or more lanes

Last edited:

Tory27

Visit site
Preparing myself of a battering on this one......... As a regular at towing on duel carriageways and motorways the main one being the M4, I tow my two horses with a 3L Jeep my trailer weight being near the 2tonne mark when fully loaded (I tow Pegasus equestrian trailer, big chap) and I never tow below 56 on motorway, unless weather conditions state otherwise. If I get up behind a lorry or lorries I get past them and get ahead. The thought of sitting behind one or being boxed in, in the middle of a fleet scares me to death!! Lorries are & can be so unpredictable with their manoeuvres I like to see what’s in front of me and have a clear road. My biggest hate is cars travelling on the inside lane at 50mph - dangerous! - If I need to overtake these car drivers with a horse trailer they in my opinion should not be driving!! I passed my trailer test when I was 19 (I’m now 30) I was told/taught by my instructor to never drive below 55 but never above 60 on a motorway and if I did I'd fail my test (did all my trailer training in and around Reading...) I, (touch wood) have never had any issues towing on motorways /duel carriageways. Driving on Duel carriageways is a completely different kettle of fish so yes I do sit a 50 - 55mph as it’s just too dangerous to go any faster. At least 4 times a year we travel 2 hrs down the M4 to & from Wales my horses travel brilliant and seem too much prefer the strait motorway runs then stop starting and constant corners of the country back roads.

Orangehorse

Visit site
OP - get a stabiliser fitted, highly recommended by someone who has towed all over the country doing endurance events.
Also check your tyre pressures on trailer and vehicle before every journey, certainly any journey involving a motorway.

I have a large reflective sign on the back of my trailer saying something like "Slow Moving Vehicle - Horses." I asked a Policeman about putting that on and he thought it was a good idea. I find that other vehicles pull out and overtake in good time with that on, and do not sit on my tail like they used to.

popsdosh

Visit site
Preparing myself of a battering on this one......... As a regular at towing on duel carriageways and motorways the main one being the M4, I tow my two horses with a 3L Jeep my trailer weight being near the 2tonne mark when fully loaded (I tow Pegasus equestrian trailer, big chap) and I never tow below 56 on motorway, unless weather conditions state otherwise. If I get up behind a lorry or lorries I get past them and get ahead. The thought of sitting behind one or being boxed in, in the middle of a fleet scares me to death!! Lorries are & can be so unpredictable with their manoeuvres I like to see what’s in front of me and have a clear road. My biggest hate is cars travelling on the inside lane at 50mph - dangerous! - If I need to overtake these car drivers with a horse trailer they in my opinion should not be driving!! I passed my trailer test when I was 19 (I’m now 30) I was told/taught by my instructor to never drive below 55 but never above 60 on a motorway and if I did I'd fail my test (did all my trailer training in and around Reading...) I, (touch wood) have never had any issues towing on motorways /duel carriageways. Driving on Duel carriageways is a completely different kettle of fish so yes I do sit a 50 - 55mph as it’s just too dangerous to go any faster. At least 4 times a year we travel 2 hrs down the M4 to & from Wales my horses travel brilliant and seem too much prefer the strait motorway runs then stop starting and constant corners of the country back roads.

Yes im with you on that I often get the evil glare when I over taker other trailers however I know my set up and am confident driving it so sitting at 60 is no issue to me. I do have a self fitted emergency brake system for the trailer if things get out of shape but have never needed to use it yet with the horse trailer. large bull in the stock trailer is a different kettle of fish but the system works well as it applies the trailer brakes before the towing vehicles.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
UK law is 60 for LGV on motorway
EU law says 56 limiter must be fitted

The limiter can legally and practically be over-ridden going down hill - I know cos I have done it many times - the accelerator pedal goes 'floppy' when that happens but goes back to normal when the speed reduces back to the limiter setting.
Thanks, ROG, I didn't think I was imagining the speeding HGVs, they can pick up some speed downhill when heavily laden due to momentum. I'm thinking particularly of the M5 southbound just south of Bristol, the long downhill stretch that is often cluttered with overturned caravans, and the 'Vicar of Dibley' cutting on the M40 heading NW towards Oxford. Not fun places to tow a horse trailer, as you want to keep your speed steady as you descend, but other traffic is speeding up.

Sorry, OP, I'm not sure that some of our posts are doing much to bolster your confidence! However, I still enjoy towing (with 30+ years experience) but I have learned to be picky as to which routes I will tow on, and may re route to find a more towing friendly option.

It's fine that some posters are happy to tow at 60 on the motorway, and feel that their outfits are steady and safe. However, I've seen many a horse trailer being towed along at 60 whilst swaying from side to side with the driver apparently oblivious.

Michen

Visit site
Hehe I am even more confused now. Just spoke to two ifor dealers about antisnake device/stabiliser. Both said they are not suitable for horse trailers and caused more problems than worth. One had a lady who insisted on fitting one but bought it back to be removed. So now I don't know!!!! And I'm getting worked up about the tow hitch height as ifor says 400-460mm and VW Factory fitted Towbar is set at 350-420mm!!!

popsdosh

Visit site
Hehe I am even more confused now. Just spoke to two ifor dealers about antisnake device/stabiliser. Both said they are not suitable for horse trailers and caused more problems than worth. One had a lady who insisted on fitting one but bought it back to be removed. So now I don't know!!!! And I'm getting worked up about the tow hitch height as ifor says 400-460mm and VW Factory fitted Towbar is set at 350-420mm!!!

That will be fine! It is infact standard EU ball height. Ifors ought to be building their trailers to that spec!

stormox

Visit site
If you were driving a typical 4x4 and trailer withh a big 16.2 horse in it, at 55-60 0n a M'way, what would be the stopping distance? Thats why I dont do over 50 ever when towing, just in case I have to stop suddenly.

popsdosh

Visit site
If you were driving a typical 4x4 and trailer withh a big 16.2 horse in it, at 55-60 0n a M'way, what would be the stopping distance? Thats why I dont do over 50 ever when towing, just in case I have to stop suddenly.

Little more than the towing vehicle on its own! The trailer should be stopping itself otherwise you are in a dangerous situation. So as long as everything is properly adjusted its fine. Just because you are doing sixty it does not mean you are driving dangerously you should always drive to the traffic conditions including concentrating on whats going on several vehicles ahead of you so you can anticipate any dangers.

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
But, popsdosh, if I stopped the towing vehicle on its own thats fine. BUT you have to stop in a lot more distance and a lot slower with a big horse in the back- or its weight will make it crash into the front of the trailer or break the breast bar.

popsdosh

Visit site
But, popsdosh, if I stopped the towing vehicle on its own thats fine. BUT you have to stop in a lot more distance and a lot slower with a big horse in the back- or its weight will make it crash into the front of the trailer or break the breast bar.

I have rear facing for a reason
I thought you meant in an emergency! My comment about anticipating whats in front of you should stop you needing to brake suddenly . I can honestly say I have never had the issue on a motorway,however DCs are more problematic and I just drive to the conditions. You are more likely to encounter issues if you are not going with the natural flow of the traffic.

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
Well I did mean in an emergency, but that doesnt mean I want my horse killed. No one should be forced to drive faster than they are happy with, and IMHO 50mph (slower in heavy rain or other bad weather) is plenty fast enough to be travelling in the inside lane of a M'way, its only 10mph slower than the speed limit anyway.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Tyre pressures.
Tow bar height.
Correct loading.
Correct weights.

If you tick those boxes you will be fine.

I have done hundreds of thousands of trailer miles with much less stable loads than one horse (cattle must be the worst things to tow as by the nature of them that's up to a tonne of only semi secured load on the back!). One wee horse will be fine. Do plenty of practicing without the horse until you feel confident. You should be able to brake smoothly without the horse having to adjust its position. You could half fill a tub trug with water as a horse substitute to see how smooth your driving is ;)

pip6

Visit site
Personally I get sick of seeing double IFORs being towed by vehicles which don't have sufficient towing capacity. If you can't afford to get the large FWD car they require, get a lighter trailer. People are not realistic about the amount of weight on the car. What about passengers, tack, water, haynets etc in side the car? Very rarely do people tow with just them, horse and nothing else. It all adds up and the car only has four wheels and one engine to move/stop with it all.

Then what would I know as a driving instructor & highway engineer........

Michen

Visit site
The towbar height is what's panicking me now. VW factory retractable towbar height is apparently at 350-420. Ifor williams optimum is 430 with a 30mm lee way either side. So how on earth will I know what height my towbar will be set at when car arrives, anything et when 350-420?! Urgh!

Tyre pressures.
Tow bar height.
Correct loading.
Correct weights.

If you tick those boxes you will be fine.

I have done hundreds of thousands of trailer miles with much less stable loads than one horse (cattle must be the worst things to tow as by the nature of them that's up to a tonne of only semi secured load on the back!). One wee horse will be fine. Do plenty of practicing without the horse until you feel confident. You should be able to brake smoothly without the horse having to adjust its position. You could half fill a tub trug with water as a horse substitute to see how smooth your driving is ;)