Towing Vehicle Advice

sarahann1

Visit site
Honestly Smartie, do your trailer test, find the £450/£600 to get it done. Towing a horse is a whole other world to 'normal' towing. It'll stand you in good stead and help keep you and your horse safe.

I spent *ages* trying to get a B licence set up to work and I just got silly, I wasn't saving anything by trying. It is doable, but you'll have far more options with the B+E licence.

I tow a single 401 with a Kia Sportage which tows 2000kg, a fairly decent bhp and it's 'fine' up to a point, I regret not going with something much heavier as I can really feel the trailer behind me and that's being over 500kg under the cars towing limit.

ROG was really helpful in me making my mind up what to do for the best. He knows his stuff, the garage folks rarely have a clue what you're on about when it come to towing.

ROG

Visit site
So Kia Sportage GVW is 2140. Rog quote:
'http://www.batesontrailers.com/shop/...ht-horse-pony/
Derby Lightweight Horse Trailer
Empty 675
MAM 1700 but can be down plated to 1350 by Bateson for about a tenner

At 1350 the trailer can be loaded with 675 (675+675=1350)'

GVW of sportage @ 2140 + MAM of downplated trailer @ 1350.

Total GVW+MAM= 3490 so under my 3500 max for B towing...?
That is a good B licence combo = nice one

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A good tow vehicle would be a Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0l manual 4x4 estate, which has a GVW of 2096kg. Leaves 3500 - 2096kg = 1404kg left for towing.

If horse weighs 650kg, then trailer must weigh no more than 754kg. It would be a good idea to get your horse weighed on a weigh bridge, as +/- 50kg is pretty pertinent to the calculations.

I have a Scout, and it's a great tow car.

Samarie

Visit site
Honestly Smartie, do your trailer test, find the £450/£600 to get it done. Towing a horse is a whole other world to 'normal' towing. It'll stand you in good stead and help keep you and your horse safe.

I spent *ages* trying to get a B licence set up to work and I just got silly, I wasn't saving anything by trying. It is doable, but you'll have far more options with the B+E licence.

I tow a single 401 with a Kia Sportage which tows 2000kg, a fairly decent bhp and it's 'fine' up to a point, I regret not going with something much heavier as I can really feel the trailer behind me and that's being over 500kg under the cars towing limit.

ROG was really helpful in me making my mind up what to do for the best. He knows his stuff, the garage folks rarely have a clue what you're on about when it come to towing.

Hiya,
Yes I have no problem in doing my test and I would feel a lot more comfortable in having the B+E license when towing anyway tbh. I only posted on here for advice as to which vehicles would be good for towing but that are 'fairly' economical. Its only myself, I don't have a family of 5, and I need it to commute to work. Seeing which type of car could tick these boxes was what I was trying to get to, but learnt along the way

sarahann1

Visit site
Hiya,
Yes I have no problem in doing my test and I would feel a lot more comfortable in having the B+E license when towing anyway tbh. I only posted on here for advice as to which vehicles would be good for towing but that are 'fairly' economical. Its only myself, I don't have a family of 5, and I need it to commute to work. Seeing which type of car could tick these boxes was what I was trying to get to, but learnt along the way

I tried to go for economical and failed, I'm just about getting 30miles to the gallon from my Sportage. Not sure I'd recommend one, I'm having gear box issues too so I'm feeling a bit bitter about my car just now!

Good luck! Hope you have more success than I did! :)

Samarie

Visit site
Can I just ask another question?! I would want to take the B+E test, allowing me to tow over 3.5 ton (for my own peace of mind and safety) and so as long as I have passed this, can I choose any car to tow with just as long as :

The car itself can tow over the MAM of the trailer? Is this all I have to take into consideration?
Is there an 80% rule I've heard about? That the MAM of the trailer mustn't be over 80% of the towing vehicles GVW?

ROG

Visit site
Can I just ask another question?! I would want to take the B+E test, allowing me to tow over 3.5 ton (for my own peace of mind and safety) and so as long as I have passed this, can I choose any car to tow with just as long as :

The car itself can tow over the MAM of the trailer? Is this all I have to take into consideration?
Is there an 80% rule I've heard about? That the MAM of the trailer mustn't be over 80% of the towing vehicles GVW?

85% advice is for caravans only

With B+E it is easy

Do not tow more than the towing capacity or the trailer MAM allows - whichever is the lower figure

sarahann1

Visit site
Oh no! is that MPG when towing or general use? What type of Sportage is yours?

It's a KX3 AWD diesel, 60 plate. Oddly the MPG doesn't change much when I tow. It was sitting at 30.8mpg before I towed with it, it was sitting at 30.5mpg after I did a 20mile round trip towing.

I'm really hoping once the gearbox is sorted the mpg improves!

Samarie

Visit site
It's a KX3 AWD diesel, 60 plate. Oddly the MPG doesn't change much when I tow. It was sitting at 30.8mpg before I towed with it, it was sitting at 30.5mpg after I did a 20mile round trip towing.

I'm really hoping once the gearbox is sorted the mpg improves!

Oh dear, hopefully like you said once your gearbox is fixed it might help. Have you towed with anything else before? Was looking at the VW tiguan, or a land rover freelander, all of which obviously after I've taken the B+E test.

MuddyTB

Visit site
I tow with a BMW X1 so similar to Tiguan and Freelander. Tows really well and gets 46mpg plus when not towing. About 25-30mpg towing depending on how hilly it is.

ezililaur

Visit site
I bought a ford kuga yesterday, AWD, pretty good fuel economy and apparently tows 2100kg. Not thinking of towing with it as have horse van but nice to know i have the option. Think there are a few that would tow one ok, newer rav4 etc

I have a Ford Kuga AWD Auto and bought it for towing and as an everyday car.

I tow a Cheval Liberte double trailer at 870kg

One horse weighing 570kg.
Plus tack etc.

It tows very well, don't even notice the difference to when I'm not towing.

Very pleased with my set up, so much so that I am now on my third Kuga!

Fuzzycat

Visit site
I tow an ifor 505 and one horse with a 2012 Honda CRV. It's great it doesn't struggle at all up or down steep hills, on motorways etc. I get 38mpg average overall. When towing it does about 25mpg.

Samarie

Visit site
85% advice is for caravans only

With B+E it is easy

Do not tow more than the towing capacity or the trailer MAM allows - whichever is the lower figure

Hi Rog, I might have the opportunity to purchase a freelander 2: GVW 2505kg
Vehicle weight: 1710kg
Max towing braked: 2000kg
unbraked towing weight: 750kg
I would have taken my B+E test to tow over 3500kg. So for a trailer, would I look for one that reasonably light, then get it down-plated to its empty weight combined with the horse weight? And so long as its under the 2000kg towing limit of car it would be legal? Just so I know what I can look at trailer-wise. As mentioned I'd only ever be towing 1 horse approx 680kg.

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog, I might have the opportunity to purchase a freelander 2: GVW 2505kg
Vehicle weight: 1710kg
Max towing braked: 2000kg
unbraked towing weight: 750kg
I would have taken my B+E test to tow over 3500kg. So for a trailer, would I look for one that reasonably light, then get it down-plated to its empty weight combined with the horse weight? And so long as its under the 2000kg towing limit of car it would be legal? Just so I know what I can look at trailer-wise. As mentioned I'd only ever be towing 1 horse approx 680kg.

No point in down plating with a B+E licence

This would be legal on a B+E ...
Max tow limit 2000
Trailer plated MAM 2500
Trailer empty 900
Max trailer load 1100

Samarie

Visit site
No point in down plating with a B+E licence

This would be legal on a B+E ...
Max tow limit 2000
Trailer plated MAM 2500
Trailer empty 900
Max trailer load 1100

Ah right okay. I thought that its the plated MAM of the trailer vs what the car can tow that I could get into trouble with if I was to be pulled over, and not necessarily what I am actually towing at the time (much less)? so my car couldnt tow over 200kg but the plate states e.g. 2500, this doesnt matter as I'd only be towing under 2000kg.

ROG

Visit site
Ah right okay. I thought that its the plated MAM of the trailer vs what the car can tow that I could get into trouble with if I was to be pulled over, and not necessarily what I am actually towing at the time (much less)? so my car couldnt tow over 2000kg but the plate states e.g. 2500, this doesnt matter as I'd only be towing under 2000kg.
You got it

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of the vehicle must be able to accommodate the trailer MAM and if some numpty says - but it has the capability of being exceeded - then answer with - my car has the capability to do 70 in a 30

Samarie

Visit site
You got it

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of the vehicle must be able to accommodate the trailer MAM and if some numpty says - but it has the capability of being exceeded - then answer with - my car has the capability to do 70 in a 30

Okay great, so with regards to plating down a trailer, if I had an B+E licence, if my car can only tow a max of 2000kg, I dont need to down-plate a trailer with a MAM of say 2500kg to say 1800kg. Just so long as the towing weight of the trailer plus horse weight doesnt go over the 2000kg, which the car can legally tow?

ROG

Visit site
Okay great, so with regards to plating down a trailer, if I had an B+E licence, if my car can only tow a max of 2000kg, I dont need to down-plate a trailer with a MAM of say 2500kg to say 1800kg. Just so long as the towing weight of the trailer plus horse weight doesnt go over the 2000kg, which the car can legally tow?

Correct